• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Twins in the desert

Nichole Lampron

c9c7324e159f590cf7691f624171e20e.jpg

This was shot about a year or so ago here in Ocala, Florida when I was visiting. I like the trees and the way the clouds work with the lighting but I would really like to know what everyone else thinks on this.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
c9c7324e159f590cf7691f624171e20e.jpg

Nichole Lampron: Twins in the Desert

Ocala Florida

Nichole,

I like the picture but there's so much green and that's an education! I'd consider cutting off the sky to just allow the very top of the tree on the right to show. What do you think. One could working on getting light to shine through the trees illuminating some foliage, but that's complicated and not needed. I just mention that as an idea for the future and this might require sunset or sunrise and a particular time of the year. That can be looked up in an Almanac and there's software too for that.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I like your eye on this image, Nichole. But I suggest that, as Asher suggested, you consider your priorities for such images. The subtle sympathetic forms of the trees make the image for me. But you've chosen a poor time of day for managing your contrast. The trees are mostly crushed and the grass area is also losing its texture.

I suggest looking at some of Joel Sternfeld's landscapes for some exemplarary guidance. He's represented by several galleries, such as Luhring Augustine but with a little effort you should be able to better see his works in publication.

Addendum: Here is a 5-minute approximation of the type of tonal relationships I would have in mind for this image.

large.jpg

Nichole Lampron

Thanks Ken and Asher, those are wonderful suggestions. At the time I was under the restrictions of a ride. So the times I could shoot then were limited at best. Luckily I don't have those limitations anymore.

That image is awesome Ken. Thanks for the idea for that. I think I have an idea forming. Thanks for that link to. When I have time to thoroughly look I will.