• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Still Life: Unitarian Church

Rachel Foster

I visited a Unitarian Church a couple weeks ago and got this still life. It's grown on me a bit. I'm wondering what the general reaction to it is?

ISO 320, f/4.0, 1/125.

smallchurchstill.jpg

Jacob Eliana: CHurch

Mike Shimwell

Thanks, all! Charles, I think you're right. The rest of the chair would be nice.

Hi Rachel

I like this very much. I'm also not sure that you need the rest of the chair. Including it would give it completion, but open up unnecessary space in the upper right hand of the frame. Also, the missing front edge points us to the rest of the space that this little vignette sits within. I may be quite wrong, but I can picture the space leading away and into the chamber of the church, where their may be seats or pews, but certainly a space for people to meet one another and, hopefully, God too.

Mike

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Very tranquil, as Wendy observed. It feels like a Japanese pictorialist work, except with color and a distinctly European antique in the background.

What's important now is for you to understand how you created this so that you can draw upon the technique later.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
That's the problem, Ken...like with all of my best pieces, it's simply a "gut" thing that I cannot articulate.

I wish I could!

Not true,

The articulation can just be expressed in the pictures. Don't worry on how you made it! Just plan to do more in that "sense" in the same church. Trust that you made this picture and can, indeed, make more. Just try to match the time of day, lighting, your position and compostion to give you the same feelings. After you have done ten of these, you will get feedback enough.

BTW, you will fail a lot but you will also succeeed because you are not copying someone else's style but expressing your own net sum of what appears harmonious.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

And so, Rachel, you asked our opinion and got almost as many uuggestions as there are contributors:) Remember to express yourself and not us...

Mike

Rachel Foster

Thanks, Paul.

Mike, while I always consider suggestions and even apply them, I always come back to my own vision. I've changed images in the past as a result of feedback, sometimes taking the advice as stated, but sometimes the advice prompts me to conceptualize it in a new way that neither the person offering input nor I had considered before. Those are my favorites.

I've printed and framed this one as it is, for now. I will be giving it to the church soon. I think they will like it. As a matter of fact, the minister has asked me to do a portrait shoot of him in full clerical garb.

Jim Galli

I'm late, but I'll vote. The rest of the chair is definitely not needed. The books are the bridge and the proportion of this should not be tampered with. The image as it is tells me everything I need to know about the chair. It's simply a necessary balance element, but unimportant otherwise. Bravo.

Charlotte Thompson

Hi Rachel

poetic it is

such speaks to me as a church with definite prayers- a sort of austerity to it that shouldn't be tampered with
the flowers act as a softening agent to a power of sorts-
nice catch

Charlotte-