• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Way

This is a pedestrian bridge over a busy road, I have played with some processing to change the overall look. The sun is low and to the right. Thoughts?

4572009372_4036ac6496_o.jpg

Marshall Everett-Take the Walk?

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Hello Marshall,
Interesting to see a pedestrian bridge...with a dividing line!

At your invitation, here are a few thoughts for your consideration.

The first task for a photographer to accomplish when approaching a subject like this is to get past the initial seduction of the geometry and discover a raison d'etre for making a photograph at all. What's really interesting about this security shield? Anything at all? Is it just the visual rhythm?

I don't know the answer, not having visited the scene. But my inclination would be to avoid the perspective you've chosen. It's too common, at standing height and using a perspective that leads the eye to...nothing whatsoever. It also has clutter (cars) that could have been avoided by simply getting that lens lower.

If you're just trying to capture rhythmic pattern exclude the distractions of the road, cars, and background. Just shoot the metalwork.

But patterns broken are nearly always more interesting than solid patterns. Use something to break the pattern, perhaps someone looking over the road below with hands against the grid.

Or perhaps frame a more intimate scene more tightly with the pattern dissolving into background bokeh beyond your subject.

Or look for an opportunity to use the eye-drive to create a more impactful scene. An example of a similar scene I photograhed five years ago for a magazine. Here's another example, this time of shooting a compound pattern scene,yes much larger but with the same principles.

So you're close. Explore more alternatives with this scene if you've access to it or to another like it. Concentrate first on framing a compelling image from this subject. When you put the camera to your eye forget the rest of the world. Concentrate solely on what you're putting in that viewfinder and how you're arranging the scene. That viewfinder is all that matters.

Last edited:
Thank you Ken, your input is well received. Unfortunately, this is in another city so access is nill. I get what you are talking about. I have a few other shots, at varying lens heights and will play with them.
What you cannot see is what caught my eye originally. The outside of this structure is decorated like a snake. The body is this walkway, the mouth is the exit which is the foreground and the tail is the entrance. It looks like a giant rattlesnake crossing over a busy road.
I will re-read your words to improve my work, and am grateful for your insight.
Marshall

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Tanaka

pro member
What you cannot see is what caught my eye originally. The outside of this structure is decorated like a snake. The body is this walkway, the mouth is the exit which is the foreground and the tail is the entrance. It looks like a giant rattlesnake crossing over a busy road.

Marshall

Now that sounds like fun! You should have waited for feeding time to shoot! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Marshall,

This is not meant to be beautiful. So that canno make us linger. Yes, the texture is interesting, but what then? After that there's no mystery to be answered, no lingering fascination.

I like your mention of the sun. Can this be the special element whose strength can be optimized? I'd watch what happens at sunrise and sunset moving along the tunnel. I have no notion of what you might find, but there could be interesting long shadows and a surprising effect of the emerging or sinking sun.

Also, there's the possibility of an unuual lone vehicle, animal or person.

It might be that you have the lighting effect worked out, draw in the other features, set up a tripod and wait fot the last elements to arrive where you want them. That's how I might approach this bridge.

Asher

This is a pedestrian bridge over a busy road, I have played with some processing to change the overall look. The sun is low and to the right. Thoughts?

Hi Marshall,

If I may suggest, you could try cropping at the bottom, say up to the first white road marker. That will focus attention on the intriguing structure and place the vanishing point in a location that makes the eye move back into the image again.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

Marshall,

I this bridge near you? I hope you might revisit and see if some of the ideas mentioned might have relevance.

It's a worthy challenge!

Asher

Looks like a set of overlaping ribs to some giant skeleton with a back bone.

however the cars are distracting to me also.

Asher Kelman

Looks like a set of overlaping ribs to some giant skeleton with a back bone.

however the cars are distracting to me also.

Cody,

That's a good thought. I like that idea that we are in some creature that might be breathing, sort of like being in a monster like Jonah's whale!

Asher

Thank you all for your input. I do not get to this location much, so this is it for now. The input that has been provided has been great and will provide valuable for other locations as well.