• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Muskegon Shoot

Rachel Foster

I would like critique, but since I've posted several images recently, I'm only posting to share right now. Critique later would be most welcome, though!

Right now, the two images I'm leaning toward most heavily are these:

ISO 125, f/6.3, 1/1000.

sm8250.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Beach Grass

ISO 125, f/6.3, 1/800

sm8256frm.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Dunes

And I've been stalking the elusive sunset. I came closer than I ever have to getting that sunset shot.

ISO 125, 1/1000, f/10.0

sm8574.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Pier at Sunset

ISO 500, 1/250, f/5.0

sm8644f4r.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Sunset Pathway

These were disappointing. They are my best sunset shots. And.....sunset shots are just "too easy." I'm not sure this makes sense, but I think I've satisfied my need to shoot sunsets.

Wendy Thurman

Rachel-

I think the grass shot shows some promise. There's interesting texture and patterns in the sand but I find myself a bit distracted by the sprouts in the upper right. You might experiment with a tighter composition and it may be worth a look in black & white.

Thanks for showing,

Wendy

Rachel Foster

I agree number two is the most interesting but the first is better in some important ways (which I'm still trying to verbalize).

The sunsets were good in that I think they've broken my pursuit of them. They're a big "ho-hum" much to my chagrin.

JimCollum

pro member
i also like #2.
Sunsets are so hard to make work. they've been done, and done, and done.. so it's hard to say something new about them. I agree with Wendy about the shoots in the corner.. they distract from a cleaner composition.

Shot #2 feels as though there's more connection (well.. at least to me as a viewer). there's visual interest.. a momentary lapse of a frame of reference to scale. (the illusion that the dunes might be larger then they actually are). There is a very slight dip to the horizon line though, that is a little distracting.. but not enough to keep me from coming back and looking.

I like that shot.

jim