• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How rude of me

Ivan Garcia

Please forgive me for taking so long.
I have been reading and participating on these forums for a while now, so introducing myself is well over due.

I was born in Madrid, Spain, in 1966.
I’ve became interested in photography at the tender age of 5, when my father gave me a small Kodak instamatic (can’t remember the model) ever since, photography has been in and out of my life.
At 18, having just finished my BUP education (required Pre-university education in Spain), the Army came calling at my door (forced national service) were I spent a year learning how to kill people efficiently.
Needless to say, I was none too happy about having my liberty snatched in such manner. In fact, I was so upset with the situation, that I decide to move to England, were I felt immediately at home.
I have done too many things to mention here, from Dj before my army, to barman, chef, chauffeur and other ventures too long to list here. Presently, I own a Flamenco school in central London.
Photography has, none the less, been my true calling, always in the background, shouting, “when are you going to realize, this is what you should be doing”.
So, since I am somewhat in a comfortable (economic) period of my life, I have decided to give this calling one more push, enrolling at college for my bachelor’s degree in arts.
I find your forums, an invaluable source of information, your generosity is, at times, overwhelming.
I hope to learn, and participate, as much as works allows me.
This is me at the Farnborough air show last July.

me.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ivan,

We always love to get an introduction like yours as it allows us to know each other better. This is not a mere list or an anoymous forum with boasting obsessionals who collect expensive stuff.

Photography is a tough business. Wedding photographers, often with 2-3 heavy cameras round their nexk and pressured schedules, have to work so hard and not for huge rewards. The greatest architectural photographers can lose the next large development job in some fanct city center and have now a large hole in hteir working schedule and income.

Most people pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. Your story shows that. You belong here.

Here, this is a community. We try to leave the baggage of self importance and rank at the front garden gate. However, we treasure the special generoisity of super-busy working pros who still share with us.

I already know you are someone who is going to make many friends here. Sorry you aren't still in Spain as the more OPF members in a place, the better chance I have of geting a local tour and entrance to the best places! Spain is one of the next on my photo-attack list, as I feel that I should visit the country which re-worked the cultural landscape of a whole continent below me and of which I really know so little.

I really like your picture, just the size of the ball-head puzzles me! :)

Again, thanks for being here!

Asher

Nill Toulme

Asher you are so quick with the cruel knife — here is a photo where what is meant to be admired is the fully extended large zoom lens, rampant and ready, and your response is a snide comment belittling the size of the man's ball. Tsk, tsk.

Ivan, I apologize for Asher, our kind but but sometimes insensitive host. You are a fine-looking fellow with a nice big lens.

I will be very interested in hearing periodic reports of your experience in going back to school in the arts. As a recovering lawyer myself, who is also getting more serious about my photography, that is a very interesting prospect.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Ivan Garcia

No offence taken, I like a big lens, it compensates for a small...object at long distances, as for the ball, it came with the monopod, so I might as well use it, not the most stable in my bag but it did the trick.
Asher; just let me know when you want to take a Photo expedition in Spain; I go there every summer, from the end of July to the end of August, I'll be more than happy to be your guide, in exchange for some good tips.