• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Which is better?

Rachel Foster

I love black and white, and I am enchanted with how b&w sets the focus on the lines, not the colors. However, the colors in this image appeal to me. I'm conflicted: B&W or color on this one?

small9954-1.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Contemplation

sm9954bw.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Contemplation in Black and White

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Rachel,
I like the B&W better, but the image is appearing very dark on my monitor.
I'm not sure if that is attributable to my monitor, or if that's your intent with the image.
I just went thru 3 calibrations on my cranky display, however I might still be off.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Rachel,
What are you using to edit?
I seemed to be able to pull a reasonable amount of detail out of the image (the ferns, the background foliage and even some of the front face of the box in the foreground) with a Levels adjustment in PS.

John Angulat

pro member
LOL!
Fear not, many of us believe the software was written by mad scientists!
In Levels, play around with the middle slider (mid tones) and nudge the far right slider to the left a bit.
I think you'll be surprised at the result.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I love black and white, and I am enchanted with how b&w sets the focus on the lines, not the colors. However, the colors in this image appeal to me. I'm conflicted: B&W or color on this one?

small9954-1.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Contemplation

The relatively vast size of the rather "unused" space makes the figure diminutive, giving an, (admittedly odd), God-like-view of the garden. The man seems to be a subject within a larger set. Still, in this original version, its colors give life and retain the man's identity. In the following B&W version that is lost! Our man is somewhat objectified and is little more important than any other element. The strong form of the windows on the left, the pillars in the upper right and the base of the sculpture on the lower right draw attention from the sole figure and drains his life force to its minimal level.

sm9954bw.jpg

The extra, essentially "unused" real estate in B&W with the same level of clarity and illumination allows the motionless figure to be subsumed into the entire space! So how might this be shown otherwise? I offer the following as an example of allocation of attention through lighting and levels of clarity.

sm9954bw-1-1_AK.jpg

cropped and edited ADK

Here the space is smaller and more intimate and hopefully gives the impression of a man thinking in the aura and presence of a steel sculpture. The man and his thinking dominates the picture and we don't doubt he's not only alve but also in command of his choices.

These are entirely different ways of looking at the subject and each evokes a somewhat different set of feelings.

Asher