• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Three musketeers

Prateek Dubey

270758-fullsize.jpg

Prateek Dubey : Three musketeers​

I'm exploring concepts of still life beyond the sepia weathered look ( though I must say, that looks great). Does the composition appeal to you as the three musketeers trying to wade off an army?

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Prateek,

For some reason your pictures are not showing. Also "Red" seems to be not appearing! check your website!

Asher

Prateek Dubey

Prateek,

For some reason your pictures are not showing. Also "Red" seems to be not appearing! check your website!

Asher

Hello Asher,
That's odd. I can see this one. Red was moved from its original position to 'screening', so I had to copy the link again. This I've not posted for screening, so it should sit still for a while. I'll re-post it.
Regards,
Prateek

Ruben Alfu

Hi Patreek,

Certainly not the usual still life, this photo has that documentary flavor natural to expect from you. Perhaps that mix between art and facts is what makes it so charming. Yes, I can relate this image with the Musketeers but if that was your original intention, I think the allegory should be more evident. IMO this title distracts our perception from other virtues in this photo.

Asher Kelman

270758-fullsize.jpg

I'm exploring concepts of still life beyond the sepia weathered look ( though I must say, that looks great). Does the composition appeal to you as the three musketeers trying to wade off an army?

Prateek,

I do like the components you have assembled. I'm a sucker for the shadows, reflections and spouts repeating ideas. However, I do not see a scene, a story, a composition or any unity. Unless you're doing a Dadaist "My finger to you romantic sentimentalists who want some order in things!", the picture doesn't make it for me. I don't mind the name. Be whimsical for sure! The picture still has to work its' effect on the observer. For me, at least, it doesn't!

Of course, this is merely just one persons reaction and everyone else might be moved. For me, I'd just walk by. Of course, I'm sticking my neck out being so opinionated but this picture is to me an example of great ingredients but not an appetizing dish! Not to fret! Within just this picture there are numerous really fine moments. Find these and you will be surprised and rewarded.

I suggest looking at components of this. Frame the elements in 4-5 different ways, for example

• just the red kettle and the mirrored surface of the kettle next to it.
  • the shadows to the left and just sufficient of 1 or both kettles to allow the brain to fill in the rest.

Are the reflections in the counter important? If so, rephotograph that.

Make a series of highly focused ideas on the same theme rather than trying to put every single component in its entirety in one picture. Remember, we can induce the entire form of something from just a portion. Include just what's needed. Photography is about exclusion as much as grabbing everything of interest!

Only when you can decide what's important can you make this picture!

Asher

Prateek Dubey

Prateek,

I do like the components you have assembled. I'm a sucker for the shadows, reflections and spouts repeating ideas. However, I do not see a scene, a story, a composition or any unity. Unless you're doing a Dadaist "My finger to you romantic sentimentalists who want some order in things!", the picture doesn't make it for me. I don't mind the name. Be whimsical for sure! The picture still has to work its' effect on the observer. For me, at least, it doesn't!

Of course, this is merely just one persons reaction and everyone else might be moved. For me, I'd just walk by. Of course, I'm sticking my neck out being so opinionated but this picture is to me an example of great ingredients but not an appetizing dish! Not to fret! Within just this picture there are numerous really fine moments. Find these and you will be surprised and rewarded.

I suggest looking at components of this. Frame the elements in 4-5 different ways, for example

• just the red kettle and the mirrored surface of the kettle next to it.
  • the shadows to the left and just sufficient of 1 or both kettles to allow the brain to fill in the rest.

Are the reflections in the counter important? If so, rephotograph that.

Make a series of highly focused ideas on the same theme rather than trying to put every single component in its entirety in one picture. Remember, we can induce the entire form of something from just a portion. Include just what's needed. Photography is about exclusion as much as grabbing everything of interest!

Only when you can decide what's important can you make this picture!

Asher

Hello Asher,
I got your point. The problem with me is that I associate forms ( like the kettles) with people and am easily moved to an associated story. When I saw the shadows initially I thought, what should a red kettle do there. Then I found the silver kettle and then I thought, the spouts can say something . Then I discovered the flask. I put all three in a way that they are trying to defend themselves against the shadows. Well! obviously, it doesn't work. I think all the other nefarious elements are distracting and not conveying the story. What confounds me in still life is the 'purpose' of still life. Simple studies are a passe for me. But I guess I need to begin there and build on it. Maybe I have to figure out the sophistication of interaction. Colors, forms, shadows, texture etc. No, I'll not have the dadaist attitude of self righteousness. The picture has to be clear. Thank you so much for your critique. I'll keep bothering you on this one, time and again.
Regards,
Prateek

PS: A thing which I just noticed is that the red kettle itself has no sense of humor. Look at it! Its got a round body and a straight spout. It's too static. I missed that while taking the picture. The next time ( in a month) I'll keep that in mind.

Asher Kelman

A thing which I just noticed is that the red kettle itself has no sense of humor. Look at it! Its got a round body and a straight spout. It's too static. I missed that while taking the picture. The next time ( in a month) I'll keep that in mind.

Why wait a month?

You already have lots of these pictures. Work with them to extract the elements that do work. Then present them as a small series perhaps. Don't waste you existing work but explore and exploit it! You idea has not failed, it's just the beginning.

Get to know this word of yours in bits and pieces, small vignettes. You have a lot to mine here. Don't put it aside! Composition is an enterprise. Expression is tough since what's expressed alters the idea to be materialized in the picture. So you need to keep at it. Don't think geniuses just make something perfectly straight off! After 50 years, maybe Picasso might do that, but most of the time, he had to work hard to express his ideas despite being brilliant, skilled, imaginative and gifted.

I like projects that are hard to do at first! We all need a challenge! It's fun, makes one's hair grow and the payoff is wonderful!

Asher

Prateek Dubey

Why wait a month?

You already have lots of these pictures. Work with them to extract the elements that do work. Then present them as a small series perhaps. Don't waste you existing work but explore and exploit it! You idea has not failed, it's just the beginning.

Get to know this word of yours in bits and pieces, small vignettes. You have a lot to mine here. Don't put it aside! Composition is an enterprise. Expression is tough since what's expressed alters the idea to be materialized in the picture. So you need to keep at it. Don't think geniuses just make something perfectly straight off! After 50 years, maybe Picasso might do that, but most of the time, he had to work hard to express his ideas despite being brilliant, skilled, imaginative and gifted.

I like projects that are hard to do at first! We all need a challenge! It's fun, makes one's hair grow and the payoff is wonderful!

Asher

Hello Asher,
Actually the kitchen and the kettle are at my parents place. I visit them once a month. So this particular kettle has to wait, but meanwhile I'll be busy taking pictures of innocous objects all around the house till I get it. I know my wife will be cross with me, but I'll take her out for a movie...
Regards,
Prateek

Asher Kelman

Hello Asher,
Actually the kitchen and the kettle are at my parents place. I visit them once a month. So this particular kettle has to wait, but meanwhile....................

Here's an idea! See what's in this existing picture!

270758-fullsize.jpg

Rethink without being constrained by your original idea. Allow yourself to imagine that the picture on the screen is what you see looking out a window. From that choose what to include and what to exclude. Select carefully and show that. Now when you go back, you might see in a new way.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Departing from the charm and the familiar.

49891-F.jpg

Prateek Dubey : Three Musketeers crop 2

Prateek,

This crop works as a composition. The picture appears balanced. We have enough of the red kettle to imagine it entirely. The blue pattern of water appears on the upper left as a counterweight and completes the image. Framed with a matt, a small image like this would brighten the kitchen.

It's not important that you use this. Some feel if the idea didn't work, then just start afresh and there's much to be said for that. I would argue the opposite. By really examining what we already have brought home, we might be better prepared next time out with an idea and a camera.

This investigation then becomes a valuable exercise. In it we will seek out parts from within the larger images we already have, as if "This is the entire world one could ever see with the camera". That way we'll discover how components that interact in an especially interesting, fascinating and agreeable way commend themselves to out attention. The end result is that when we're in the real world with our camera, recognizing such patterns that work together can be seen and so we don't, of necessity, have to go for the charm and the familiar.

There's still a lot more to be discovered in your picture and it's a month before you can do the whole thing in a fresh way. So hopefully you will find more! Thanks for being sporting and going on with my idea for a bit!

Asher

Prateek Dubey

Hello Asher,
Thank you so much for taking interest in my pictures. Believe me, these last few conversations have opened many doors for me. You are so lucid,yet clear in your advice, that to comprehend the issue has been easy for me. I remember my art teacher at fashion school.She was just the opposite. Couldn't sketch for nuts, was obsessed with fertility symbols and scratched around till all of us were confused beyond repair. In you, I have found a Guru. Of course its your discretion whether or not to advise me on a picture. But shamelessly I will keep on posting pictures on the critique section. I'm bound to progress with your advise.
Regards,
Prateek

Asher Kelman

Hello Asher,
Thank you so much for taking interest in my pictures. Believe me, these last few conversations have opened many doors for me.
That's wonderful. It should be the questions asked not the answers given. You have to retain control of your own imagination.

You are so lucid,yet clear in your advice, that to comprehend the issue has been easy for me.

A warning! Just because something appears lucid it doesn't follow it's correct or even fitting for you. Although we try to give helpful feedback, we may be utterly wrong. You have to make the decisions! On fora like this, there's a danger in believing in "experts". I try to frame my feedback as options for consideration and sometimes I may come off as utterly authoritative, but that's not my intent.

In you, I have found a Guru. Of course its your discretion whether or not to advise me on a picture. But shamelessly I will keep on posting pictures on the critique section. I'm bound to progress with your advise.

Prateek,

I'll take that to mean a great complement, that here, folks try to challenge one another. We work as a group, a community and there's fortunately no Guru. If anything I'm the unguru, LOL! I'm not above anyone else. Someone else's one word often more value. Here, each person has to find that guide within themselves. We try to encourage but not to have followers, LOL!

Asher

Prateek Dubey

That's wonderful. It should be the questions asked not the answers given. You have to retain control of your own imagination.

A warning! Just because something appears lucid it doesn't follow it's correct or even fitting for you. Although we try to give helpful feedback, we may be utterly wrong. You have to make the decisions! On fora like this, there's a danger in believing in "experts". I try to frame my feedback as options for consideration and sometimes I may come off as utterly authoritative, but that's not my intent.

Prateek,

I'll take that to mean a great complement, that here, folks try to challenge one another. We work as a group, a community and there's fortunately no Guru. If anything I'm the unguru, LOL! I'm not above anyone else. Someone else's one word often more value. Here, each person has to find that guide within themselves. We try to encourage but not to have followers, LOL!

Asher

Hello Asher,
Without meaning to embaress you, that is exactly the quality a great teacher has. The power to inspire rather than a desire to teach. The upside down picture of the lychee is one of the example. Well! many consider me creative, but I missed that angle totally. Here in these series I was being very very conservative and not trying to get ahead of myself too much. Just simple stories. But you showed me ways to be more evocative whilst retaining simplicity.
There's more to come for you to ponder over....
Thanks so much again,
Prateek