• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

James

James and his litter mate Jack were rescued from an auto wrecking yard. I took their portraits for advertisments on Craigslist to find them new homes. They were adopted within hours of the post.

This was my first attempt shooting pets in the studio. Turned out pretty well I think.

5043764-lg.jpg

Mary Bull

Chas, do you have a website link where we can see this picture?

Or, even better, could you embed it in a post to this thread with a linking URL?

I would very much like to see James, and his litter mate Jack, too.

Mary

Mary Bull

Hi Cem!

If there was a link in Charles's post, it wasn't visible to me.

But I do have some issues with low contrast, in some HTML colors that are used in the forum.

However, it's the first I've encountered that is totally invisilbe to my eyes, to date, at OPF.

@ Charles: Irresistible kitten and excellent photo. I really enjoyed it.

Mary

Cem_Usakligil

Don't worry Mary, the link was indeed invisible. I had to dig it out of the html source of the page myself ;-)...

Mary Bull

Phew!

What a relief! I thought I was going to have to see the opthalmologist sooner than I had reckoned on seeing him!

Mary

Is this a UI issue?

Hmm, I just used the Insert Image button in the message editor box. I can see the photo inline in this forum. If it's not reliable, how do I ensure that my pictures show up?

I host my pictures on Photo.net because I can easily link to there from other sites. Does OPF offer hosting so I can just U/L my pictures here and link locally?

Cem_Usakligil

Chas,

Even if you'd use preview to check the post before posting, you'd possibly see the image correctly in your browser since the link and the image are stored in the cache of the browser.
The issue here is that the URL you have linked to:
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/5043764-lg.jpg
is changed dynamically by the photo.net into:
http://hosting.photo.net/photodb/image-display?photo_id=5043764&size=lg
This can happen to any one of us, don't worry about it. If you want to make sure that the post is correct, empty the cache of your browser and revisit the post page.

Regards,

Cem

Mary Bull

< said with a very big grin >
Yes. Perfect.

But also, the linking URL in Charles's OP is now embedding the pic.

Go figure.

Mary

Mary Bull

Charles, the pic is embedding just fine, now.

And I could look all day at this adorable kitten, photographed so impeccably.

Mary

Cem_Usakligil

Mary,

The picture embedding is now fine for the reasons I have explained before. The image has now been placed in the cache of your browser and it is not being retrieved from the photo.net server anymore. If you open this thread using another browser such as IE, you'll see what I mean since it will not show the picture at the beginning.

Cheers,

Cem

Edit: I have actually tried opening the page in IE just now only to discover that it displays perfectly based on the original URL. "Go figure" indeed. This must have something to do with the fact that photo.net does not like alternative browsers such as Opera, which Mary and I are using.

Last edited:
More work than it's worth?

This is soundling like it's gonna be more work than it's worth just to post a few photos. I use Firefox, have zero problems w/ PN. The image previewed perfectly for me when I posted it.

Hmmm.

Mary Bull

Please keep on posting in Pets Corner, because I love to look!

Charles L Webster said:
This is soundling like it's gonna be more work than it's worth just to post a few photos. I use Firefox, have zero problems w/ PN. The image previewed perfectly for me when I posted it.

Hmmm.
Charles, please don't be discouraged. Just keep on doing whatever you were doing.

The problems are on my end. I have slightly compromised vision. I am not really adept with all the ins-and-outs of computers. I am the least skilled of all the members here, probably, both with cameras and computers. Am, all the same, rather passionately interested in both.

I'll be 80 years old next May, and my renewed interest in amateur photography is bringing me as much joy as if I were only turning 5.

Plus, I love cats. Keep two of my own, as strictly indoor housemates.

Your photo is wonderful. Asher has warned me over and over that in setting up Pets Corner he's setting standards. The pics have to be professional quality, or of the highest amateur quality.

Yours is exceedingly well done and will help keep Pets Corner alive!

Plus, on another personal note, I simply enjoy looking at James.

Mary

Don Lashier

Charles L Webster said:
James, that's a fine cat portrait, and it viewed fine here from the beginning with both FF and IE. Keep up the good work!

- DL

Mary Bull

Oops! It's Charles?

Don, I had to smile, because the first time I composed a reply to Charles L. Webster, I called him James, too.

Caught my own error in preview.

Need to ask him, besides: since he puts "Chas" in his sig, does he prefer to be called "<Chas>" or "Charles" here at OPF?

I guess it's natural, with the thread name "James"--the kitten's name--imprinted in boldface on the brain, to type "James" in replying to Charles. Since it happened to at least two human beings that I know of, now.
< she said with a rueful smile >

Mary
(who makes more typos and other mistakes than most people do)

P.S. Don, also, thanks a mil for the very welcome Moderator support to Charles. I'm sorry that I ever complained about the missing pic---I did it only because I so much longed to see James. --Mary

Don Lashier

Mary Bull said:
Don, I had to smile, because the first time I composed a reply to Charles L. Webster, I called him James, too.
Whoops - sorry Charles. My excuse is 2:25 am and a nice bottle of wine.

- DL

Don Lashier said:
Whoops - sorry Charles. My excuse is 2:25 am and a nice bottle of wine.

- DL

No problem. For those who asked, either Chas or Charles is fine. I've used <Chas> as my online signature since BBS days, but sign my photography as Charles L Webster, to distinguish from anyone else with the same name.

As a bit of trivia, Charles L Webster was Mark Twain's publisher who paid him $0.03 per word, but also published Walt Whitman's early work. To the best of my knowledge, we're not related ;-)

Here's Jame's littermate Jack. Shot at the same session. They were both adopted Saturday AM.

5043753-lg.jpg

Mary Bull

Charles L Webster said:
No problem. For those who asked, either Chas or Charles is fine. I've used <Chas> as my online signature since BBS days, but sign my photography as Charles L Webster, to distinguish from anyone else with the same name.
Thanks, Charles. I am so delighted to know you.
As a bit of trivia, Charles L Webster was Mark Twain's publisher who paid him $0.03 per word, but also published Walt Whitman's early work. To the best of my knowledge, we're not related ;-)
Hey, I'm a Mark Twain and Walt Whitman fan, both!
Tickled indeed to have this bit of trivia.
Here's Jame's littermate Jack. Shot at the same session. They were both adopted Saturday AM.
Jack is equally beautiful, equally lucky, and equally excellently photographed!
I could just walk into my monitor screen and pick Jack up for a moment, for a gentle rub behind the ear!

That's my amateur criterion for a great image: It makes me feel as if I have entered the scene, or could interact with the portrait subject.

Best always,

Mary