• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

after the morning rain

Dr Klaus Schmitt

4760506034_36e23ed2b3_z.jpg

4760506254_d927661cc7_z.jpg

African Daisy. Soft focus image(s) sepia toned.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Klaus,

Welcome to our photography community. Your arrival is a particular pleasure for me personally as I have a strong admiration for early lens makers devoted to not only giving us sharp planes of focus but also learning how to ameliorate the harshness. I simply love some of the older soft focus lenses. This is, to me, the antidote to those who strive for edge to edge evenness of every optical characteristic with the end result of a lens with no emotions and little character.

So it's a special joy to see as you first contribution these two B&W images!

4760506034_36e23ed2b3_z.jpg

4760506254_d927661cc7_z.jpg

Dr Klaus Schmitt: African Daisy. Soft focus image(s) sepia toned

The second image is preferable to me, but I do admit to liking the first so understated soft image.

I'd be interested to see the second image cropped on the left to almost completely remove the leaf on the lower left and then remove a tad, perhaps a 1/4 inch from the top to give the elements a stronger impact, perhaps.

I'd love to know how you made them! Meanwhile, I just an happy!

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome!

Me too, I am into older lenses and especially soft focus ones. I also construct m own ones, if I can't find what I need (want).
These were actually done using a approx. f=120mm quartz triplet lens with a circular very round multi-blade aperture
attached to it, that whole contraption then mounted onto a focusing helicoid onto my DSLR.

455_4760506034_36e23ed2b3_b1_1.jpg

455_4760506254_d927661cc7_b1_1.jpg

I have a few older and modern SF lenses, so be assured to see soon more using them...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Klaus,

I like the crop! What is the difference between the first and second images? What did you set differently?

Asher