• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Parallel Universe"

Dr Klaus Schmitt

455_121592931rNT3VoDs_1.jpg

Butterfly on Rudbeckia flower (which has a pattern on its petals invisible for us; well at least for most of us). Human and (simulated, UV mapped as blue) butterfly vision (preproduction still for BBC's "Invisible Worlds" series)

Butterfly on Rudbeckia flower (which has a pattern on its petals invisible for us; well at least for most of us). Human and (simulated, UV mapped as blue) butterfly vision (preproduction still for BBC's "Invisible Worlds" series)

Hi Klaus,

That's a very nice combination of science and art.
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Bart

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thanks Bart. Exactly that was the idea behind it, to draw in a viewers attention and to induce thoughts about what might be shown there.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
455_121592931rNT3VoDs_1.jpg

Klaus,

I really like the design and teaching quality of this picture. It does help folk get the concept of "parallel universe". That worked with Rachel and the rose. The synthesis here is wonderful.

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thanks Asher. Well actually I had to fight with myself about the concept of having
to cut through that flower (image) to make that side-a-side image happen and
fuse the two individual images into one. First I wanted to do it vertically to also
show two halfes of the butterfly in visible and invisible UV, but decided against
that, to also convey the idea of how that butterfly may see its world (a very
crude approximation as butterflies can see UV, Blue, Green and Red (four colors
= tetrachromatic vision as compared to human trichromatic vision). Well, glad
that it worked out for you!