• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Building and Curves

15517832deb43e1d1f759dbf2d29082.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Cedric,

I immediately find this interesting as the metal form gives us the feeling of a person performing, maybe dancing but by contrast, the buildings behind are rigid. I do like that difference. I would like to know what's on your mind as now my reactions might depart from where your mind was in building the picture.

1. Did you intend the building to be receding as you have not corrected perspective. I'm not declaring you are in error, but is it perhaps that you didn't yet get to it or is it part of the meaning you wish the image to have. The curvature of the free form in front would perhaps be emphasized and shown up better, if the buildings behind were architecturally perfectly vertical and straight. As it is, the buildingd have far more drama than the "sculpture".

2. Why do we not see the complete steel sculpture? Is this perhaps not even that but part of some fence-work and it's just close to the camera?

3. What about the sky? There's a touch of cloud but not enough or perhaps too much. Why is it there?

I ask these serious questions not because I'm a fuss pot, LOL, but rather because I take your work seriously as I value a number of your pictures highly. Sometimes, perhaps casual snaps are mixed in with carefully executed design. If the latter applies here, then I need to catch up.

With friendship,

Asher

Hi Asher,

It's hard to explain with words a feeling or a graphical vision one has in mind...

For me, perspective is right and must not be corrected : i wanted this effect of contreplongée, to express the crushing feeling we have in front of these huge buildings made of raw concrete. I chose vertical direction which drives the sight on the hard angle of the sculpture, maybe you noticed the unique real vertical line of the picture.

The scultpure is partially shown, it is not the subject. I just used its curves to evoke a kind of wildness which would come from the sky (Sodome and Gomorrha ?) and a quite agressive sensation above this poor urban realization, to suggest how crazy this place is with this steel lightning bolt.

But, i agree with you, the touch of cloud should be erased, it is not usefull at all.

Cedric.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher,

It's hard to explain with words a feeling or a graphical vision one has in mind...

For me, perspective is right and must not be corrected : i wanted this effect of contreplongée, to express the crushing feeling we have in front of these huge buildings made of raw concrete. I chose vertical direction which drives the sight on the hard angle of the sculpture, maybe you noticed the unique real vertical line of the picture.

The scultpure is partially shown, it is not the subject. I just used its curves to evoke a kind of wildness which would come from the sky (Sodome and Gomorrha ?) and a quite agressive sensation above this poor urban realization, to suggest how crazy this place is with this steel lightning bolt.

But, i agree with you, the touch of cloud should be erased, it is not usefull at all.

Cedric.

Thanks Cedric for sharing your motivations and how the picture was purpose-built to express your ideas. Besides that, this morning, I immediately saw the aggressive buildings as the dramatic subject in the photograph. I'm far happier today! I think that some images need to work in the subconscious and be processed further with less conscious distractions..... and it could be that it's slower over 40 and worse at 50 etc!

Asher