• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New series- industrial

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Jim
I like very much your shots.
We're brought to a no man country (not no man's land), in the world of industrial made by man.
A kind of contradiction that let me think to danger. Somewhat like in certain films of the early seventies.
Some of the last shots of the serie let almost think about having been shot just after nuclear "accident".
Scary but interesting.
I'm awaiting for the next "tour"

BTW I'll have to borrow a Zeiss 35 PC once to see what I'm missing!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jim,

This is so unusual and a great eye opener to this industrial world of steel intestines!

Image # 30 has a tone of sunset on it. Is that correct or where does the light come from?

Could you post a 1000 pixel wide version of it?

Congratulations,

Asher

JimCollum

pro member
thanksfor the feedback. #30 has some sodium vapor lights (or some other off-color lighting). coming in from the left side. rather than fully whitebalancing the scene, i liked the color mood it imparted and left it. i'll get a 1000 pixel version shortly

jim

Mary Bull

JimCollum said:
Was able to get access to a local power plant.
Jim, is this a steam plant for producing electrical power?

A lot of the structures look quite familiar to me.

My husband worked in substation maintenance for TVA for 35 years.

His crew had responsibility for the Paradise Steam Plant, in Kentucky, when that was still in operation.

And, parts of some pictures look like the hydroelectric plants of TVA--I have actually toured those, a long time ago, of course.
The first trip was done using the 1dsmk2 and shift-stitching with either the 90TS or the Zeiss 35PC. The next trip will be with the Betterlight
Looking forward to seeing those pictures.

If an electrical substation is on-site, could you get a shot or two of that?
I think they are very fine indeed.

And I like that you left in the pinkish light from the sodium vapor lamp in image 30.

Mary

Last edited:

JimCollum

pro member
Yea, this is the Moss Landing Power plant, plant link in California. There is an electrical substation there.. have lots more pics to be taking (took about a year of disucssions with their PR guy to get the go-ahead for this). I'll post more as i get them.

jim

A lot of the structures look quite familiar to me.

My husband worked in substation maintenance for TVA for 35 years.

His crew had responsibility for the Paradise Steam Plant, in Kentucky, when that was still in operation.

And, parts of some pictures look like the hydroelectric plants of TVA--I have actually toured those, a long time ago, of course.

Looking forward to seeing those pictures.

If an electrical substation is on-site, could you get a shot or two of that?

I think they are very fine indeed.

And I like that you left in the pinkish light from the sodium vapor lamp in image 30.

Mary

Mary Bull

JimCollum said:
Yea, this is the Moss Landing Power plant, plant link in California. There is an electrical substation there.. have lots more pics to be taking (took about a year of disucssions with their PR guy to get the go-ahead for this). I'll post more as i get them.
I can most certainly believe that it took a year to get permission. Security issues, proprietary technology issues, etc.

I note on the Moss site that you gave the link to, that the fuel for the steam operation is natural gas. Much cleaner than coal.

The TVA Paradise Steam Plant (when it was in operation) ran on coal purchased by TVA from the Peabody Coal Company, beside whose strip mine the steam plant was situated.

The Peabody machines were unbelievably monstrous in size.

That mine is now closed and the landscape supposedly is being returned to near-original appearance. But I haven't been over there in 20 years.

TVA had to erect huge scrubber towers, also, to minimize the air pollution from sulfur etc. in the soft coal.

Mary

Cem_Usakligil

Jim,

Great pictures. I just could not resist the urge to play around with one of your pictures to see how it would look like in B&W. I hope you don't mind me doing so.

Here is the original (does not display as an inline image):

image_page.php

Adjusted this image in PS: channel mixer to convert into B&W, cropped and adjusted levels and gamma. Result:

plant1.jpg

What do you think of it?

Regards,

Cem

JimCollum

pro member
don't mind at all.. in fact there's a reason that the blog title say's "in progress". Most of these images will end up being platinum/pigment prints.. mostly platinu/bw with touches of unsaturated color thru them. On this image, most of the color, with the exception of faint yellow around the center is diluted.

Your crop looks good.. i'd only recomment evening out the distance on the right between the right border and the first tube going vertically. this will make the space between the bottom and the top of the main structure a little more even as well. (photoshop/crop/perspective)

jim

Cem_Usakligil

Jim,

I'm glad to hear that you don't mind :).
I just did a very quick and dirty job of converting and cropping since I was curious to see how it would look like. There is definitely much room in there for improvements in the post processing.

Regards,

Cem

Moss Landing

I live in SF Bay Area and have driven by the Moss Landing plant most of my life. I have often wondered how it would be to photograph. I'm glad you had the opportunity and shared your pictures with us. I really like the gritty, dirty look you captured. The faint pink glow of the sodium-vapor lights helps also. It inspires me to go have a second go at my photos from a gold mine in central Nevada.

Thanks for sharing,