• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Moss Man: C & C please

Jean Henderson

While I was out shooting pics along the river in my town, one of the local drunks attached himself to me and wanted to pose. I thought his presence would add interest to this shot.

IMG_0136_Drunk_by_the_River_a_WW_.jpg

Jean

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Sandrine,

Sandrine,

If the man is the subject, we cannot see enough of him. Either close up or else far away.

The massive rock would be great if we could see the base too. I just wonder what other pictures you took. The area is impressive. Also have you examined the possibilities in B&W?

The place must have spray or be subject to a lot of rain or mist to be this green.

Asher

This subject would be a great opportunity to try out a roll of real B&W film and see the extent of shading and light you could use to build this picture.

Asher

Jean Henderson

The man is not really the subject at all. What I was going for was the rock and all the algae/fungi on it. I did not include the base of the rock so as to allow more space above the man's head. Are you suggesting that it would have been better to step back more? Yes, the area was very green in early spring. The "waterfalls" (that are shown next) are located right behind the rock and are actually just from a huge water run-off pipe that runs below the road that is not too far from this scene. The green-ness of the area is most clearly reflected in this shot, which was taken from a footbridge that would be located a little beyond the upper left hand corner of Moss Man.

IMG_0215_01_Leaves_Waterfall_aa_WW_.jpg

Waterfall with Leaves

The leaves were lit by more open low overhead daylight than the water was. Yes, I know the highlights of the water are blown, but this image still works for me (and is a favorite of most who have seen my stuff).

Jean Henderson

These two shots are the same run-off waterfall, taken on 2 different days, but from up close to them. I adjusted the white balance in both.

IMG_0239_Waterfall_2_a_WW_.jpg

Little Waterfall 2

IMG_0216_01_Little_Waterfall_a_WW_.jpg

Little Waterfall 1

Asher Kelman

The man is not really the subject at all. What I was going for was the rock and all the algae/fungi on it. I did not include the base of the rock so as to allow more space above the man's head. Are you suggesting that it would have been better to step back more? Yes, the area was very green in early spring. The "waterfalls" (that are shown next) are located right behind the rock and are actually just from a huge water run-off pipe that runs below the road that is not too far from this scene. The green-ness of the area is most clearly reflected in this shot, which was taken from a footbridge that would be located a little beyond the upper left hand corner of Moss Man.

IMG_0215_01_Leaves_Waterfall_aa_WW_.jpg

Waterfall with Leaves

The leaves were lit by more open low overhead daylight than the water was. Yes, I know the highlights of the water are blown, but this image still works for me (and is a favorite of most who have seen my stuff).

Jean,

I'm interested in this unique way of probing the nature of the waterfall, showing a few leaves and the water behind. This is an area to investigate more. Can it be improved with the leaves being complete and seeing the details of the veins and texture of the leaves. To do this, maybe a macro lens is needed. One can look at the effect of varying the DOF. It might be that a wider angle lens might open the distance between the leaves and the fall. also one can try various speeds according to how creamy or sharp one likes ones water falls!

Perhaps, the foreground leaves and the background water could be taken in separate shots.

I am only raising questions because I like looking at waterfalls in this new way. I'm not saying what should be done.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Little Waterfall 2

IMG_0216_01_Little_Waterfall_a_WW_.jpg

Little Waterfall 1

This shot with a slow shutter speed gives us an arrangement of actions and stillness of the water and moss, respectively which are engaging. We are left wanting more to the right! Still, this is alive and works well as an image. Should this also be tried in B&W?

Asher

Jean Henderson

Asher, you have made some very interesting points. Thank you. Above all, you have taught me that it certainly is a fine idea to return to the same subject matter over a period of time -- kind of like Degas and his ballerinas, now that I think of it! This should help me, too, in my pursuit of each subject's "essence" as Minor White talks about.

That being said, unfortunately I will have to wait until next spring to do this for 2 reasons. First, the run off is non existent at the present time in the dry weather we've having. Second, my mobility is severely restricted as I fell off my bicycle at the beginning of June and am still healing a fractured pelvis! The doc and the physical therapist say it will take 6-12 months to return to normal. That should be just in time, too.

I find your suggestion of trying these kinds of shots in B/W film very intriguing. I'll try my hand at this digitally for the present. In itself, that will be a whole new learning curve.

Asher Kelman

Asher, you have made some very interesting points. Thank you. Above all, you have taught me that it certainly is a fine idea to return to the same subject matter over a period of time -- kind of like Degas and his ballerinas, now that I think of it! This should help me, too, in my pursuit of each subject's "essence" as Minor White talks about.

Hi Jean,

Really, the artist should know his/her universe as God knows his own. All the photographers we admire did that too.

First, the run off is non existent at the present time in the dry weather we've having.
Then this is a great opportunity to get parts of the life cycle otherwise hidden.

... am still healing a fractured pelvis!
Oops! Maybe you already knew too much! Wish you better. Don't get hooked on narcotic. ...OTOH....

I find your suggestion of trying these kinds of shots in B/W film very intriguing. I'll try my hand at this digitally for the present.

Jean,

That's a great idea. Just the pictures you already have are really containers for all sorts of new ideas and possibilities.

Asher