• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Info for Asher - "Orton" Method & Samples

Michael Brown

Asher, here are some samples showing the Orton method for blending.
This method works very well with some images, but some images you may try just want quite cut it.
Darwin Wigget uses this method with some of his images.
Just experiment, and have a bit of fun!
The steps involved are down at the end of this post.

All of these samples here have the original on the left, and the images on the right using this method.
This method gives a overall soft effect that I like, increasing some of the saturation as well.
You can easily go into the Layers box and make adjustments while you work, plus using various filters, etc.

This image here is one that I worked on for a client. They liked the overall soft/blurred feel to it.

5066796-lg.jpg

This method also works well with certain landscapes. The whites can get a bit blown out while using this method.
Oh yeah, ........ don't laugh neither. I ain't no landscape photographer! :)

5066802-lg.jpg

This is a shot that I quickly snapped while my sons and I were on a hike up in the mountains of North Carolina, exploring the many waterfalls in the area.

5066799-lg.jpg

Now when it comes to macro abstracts, and especially some of the high-key florals with intense colors, this method really works well.

5066804-lg.jpg

Here are the steps for using the Orton method:
I tried to write this in a way for those who visit my blog and do not do anything like this very often.

*Open up Photoshop and select a image you would like to use.
*Duplicate image.
*Now delete your original so you will not make any mistakes with your original photo.
*Go to "Image", then click on "Apply Image".
*The "Apply Image" box will appear.
*Set the blending to "Screen", and your opacity to 100%. Click Okay button.
*Go again to "Image", down to "Duplicate".
*With the image you have just duplicated, go to "Filter", down to "Blur-Gaussian Blur".
*Set the blur anywhere from 20 to 50. Click okay button.
*Using your "move tool", grab the blurred image and drag it on top of your first image and placing it evenly on top. (the image with details)
*Open your "layers" box by going to "Windows", down to "Layers".
*In that layers box, set the blending mode from "normal" to "multiply".
*You can now make some adjustments with your opacity slider, then maybe some levels/curves/sharpening/etc. while switching back and forth between your background layer and your other layer.
*When happy with what you see, flatten your image by going to "Layer", then down to "Flatten".
*Then, ......... save your masterpiece!

(I think that I got that right!)

Hope this helps gang, and gives you something to play with during any down time.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nill,

We're going to refine this for a Tutorial and Hints section. We'll be collecting all such great methods and get them in the same format with captures of the PS layers, but edited instructions.

Like the masking methods.

Asher

KrisCarnmarker

I liked the effect of this method a lot so I decided to try it on one of my otherwise boring shots. Unfortunately, my hosting provider killed my server for some reason so I couldn't upload it until now. I decided to present it as Michael did as well (although his images are not showing anymore for me).

20050527_0923-compare-orton.jpg