• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cockatoos in a Tree

Jeremy Waller

Here goes!

232323232%7Ffp%3A95%3Enu%3D6%3A%3C3%3E867%3E24%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3C866647633%3Bnu0mrj

Jeremy Waller: Cockatoos in a Tree

PS: Hope I've attached the picture of cockatoos correctly.

JRW

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeremy Waller

Cockatoo Pic.

Hi Asher,

It was taken awhile ago on a Canon EOS 350 with a 70-200mm F4L lens.

This was my try at B&W.

Jeremy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jeremy,

Hope you find it alright.

That link will not work, as it is not the URL of the image, but rather a link to an album page, with "pointers" to the image.

What goes between the "IMG" tags must be the URL of the image itself.

If you navigate until the image is shown and then right click and do "Copy Image Location" you will pick up what you need.

Here's the result:

[
232323232%7Ffp%3A95%3Enu%3D6%3A%3C3%3E867%3E24%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3C866647633%3Bnu0mrj

Nice shot, by the way.

We all have had to find our ways through this!

In any case, welcome aboard!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher,

Gee whiz and we thought that we could hide in obscurity !!

Yeah, those gold fields are dangerous holes in the ground. Not much development here but give it time and surburbia will catch up with us!!

So, Jeremy,

Were any of these native? Or is this a feral invasion like the gold miners and their wives, God bless 'em LOL!

I find this picture distinctive. The picture has wonderful grey densities and has the feel of a contact print! amazing that this is from a digital camera! Even the blacks of the tree branches also have just enough detail. So I was fooled into thinking this must be film! Somehow the birds themselves seem orientated as if on a slope gong from upper right down to lower left. So strong is this that extra branches intruding from the right and left, don't matter.

I hope you have a lot more of shots like this. What a treat!

Now what was the time of day?

Asher

Jeremy Waller

Hi Asher et al. ,

1. Looks as if I really need to organise my pictures in a logical fashion!! Thanks for your patience.

2. Thank you for being so positive - every now and then things turn out right. The birds did not fly away (this time). If you point a camera at them they fly away and if you stand under the tree and point the lens up: Well, you will appreciate that there is the possibility of getting the AR coatings on the lens damaged.

3. We get thousands of these white Corellas in the trees around us and here they are coming in to roost for the evening.

4. This pic was taken in the last hour before sunset. The clouds filtered the sunlight (my back was to the setting sun). The problem with these birds is that they are pure white and reflect so much light that it is difficult to get a well exposed shot in bright sunlight.

Regards,

Jeremy

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I found that "Licmetis is a subgenus of the white cockatoos (genus Cacatua). They are collectively known as corellas in Australia. Three of the six species are primarily - or only - found in Australia" wikpedia

Is this the bird,

Long-billed_Corella.jpg

File:Long-billed Corella.jpg from wikipedia

Hmm! The bird is pretty damn big!

Asher

Jeremy Waller

Asher,

That looks like one - they have bits of red on them. Boy! can these things make a mess of a large tree, they clip the new growth off the tree and in time will almost kill it, I'll try to photograph a flock of them.

Jeremy.

Andy brown

Hi Jeremy,

Nice shot of the Corellas.
I'm inclined to think that they're little Corellas, not long billed. I can't pinpoint why, just years of observing experience to go on.

A lot of people think there is only one cockatoo. I'm priviledged to encounter six different species on a regular basis where I live, including the little Corella.

Jeremy Waller

Hi Andy,

Point taken. Might be a small corella. I'll get a longer tele lens and try to get some close-ups.

Anyway, many thanks for the comment.

Jeremy.

Andy brown

Andy,

It seems 3 species seem to be found in Australia, so where are you seeing 6 species?

Asher

I'm in South Eastern Australia.

The species I see are Gang Gang cockatoo, White Cockatoo (also known as sulphur crested), Glossy Black cockatoo, Little Corella, Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoo and Galah.

In other parts of the country there are other species too, about another seven I think.
From memory the only Cockatoo found outside of Australia is the Palm Cockatoo ( also found in Aus.) which is found in New Guinea.

This is a female Gang Gang feeding on acacia seeds.
Gang Gangs are very cool, as with all the cockatoos, very intelligent, long lived and full of character. Gang Gangs I've noticed have little fear of humans, this one is completely wild and I was using an 85mm lens for this shot, almost touching distance.

Femaleganggang.jpg

Andy brown

I've just realised I don't have any shots of any other cockatoos, sacrilege!

I must try to get some decent shots in the future.
The Golssy Black is endangered but I live in midst of their stronghold here in the S.East
They only feed on particular species of Casuarinas (littoralis) which I plant wherever I can to help their chances, don't think I've seen one for about a year.
My father has been a keen bird observer for fifty years in this country and has never seen one.
Yellow tailed blacks are my favourites,.. awesome bird!

Jeremy Waller

Amazing as to how close you can get to this wild bird. I need at least a 400mm lens (which I don't have) to get decent bird photos. I'm thinking of getting the Canon 400mm F5.6L with out IS as it is very good value for the money but it needs to be mounted to a tripod for best results.

When I can organise an efficient way get pics on the forum there are a few questions I need to ask but these are best posed using illustrative pictures.

Regards,

Jeremy.