• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

HDR Paintbrush

Jaime Johnson

http://jaimejohnson.zenfolio.com/

p125168762-4.jpg

Canon 1D Mark IV - Canon 180mm L

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaime Johnson

This is an HDR image (high dynamic range) made up of seven images shot off of a tripod.

Each image is shot at a different exposure and the seven images are then merged in an HDR process using CS5.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jaime,

What is the role of HDR in photography of flowers? Is it allowing us to see the flower as it is or in new ways like, like for example, Klaus does using infrared?

Could you show a regularly exposed image presented as best as you can to see how 3 dimensional it looks without the extra help. The effect you have here is remarkable. I'd love to see just how far it moves from the original.

Does it seem like the flower or a flower with much more "presence" than the real thing?

Asher

Andy brown

Wow Jaime, you've been kicking arse lately, this is really nice.

Was it overcast?
Did the flower move around in the breeze?

Jaime Johnson

Jaime,

What is the role of HDR in photography of flowers? Is it allowing us to see the flower as it is or in new ways like, like for example, Klaus does using infrared? Asher

I was using HDR just trying to getting an even exposure. It gives good metering to all the crevaces in the flower.

We have millions of these where I live. I just am rarely happy with my pictures of them. This one was one of the few I liked!

For some reason, all the pictures in this series do seem to be a little 3D! Perhaps it is a trait of the Canon 180mm L - I really like that lens..

Here is a single image from the series that has not been touched -

Asher1.jpg

The reason I was even in the mountains was to do an HDR of a really kool waterfall I has seen a few days earlier. I'll post the waterfall in the Landscape forum - have a look - I really like it!

J-

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
For some reason, all the pictures in this series do seem to be a little 3D! Perhaps it is a trait of the Canon 180mm L - I really like that lens..

Here is a single image from the series that has not been touched -

Asher1.jpg

Jaime,

I'm taken back. This image is delicate and impressive as the flower comes out of infinite space. It has the feeling of the think pink silk of delicate springtime dress, moving to the wind. The underlying form appears and disappears in a moment.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Jaime,
the one out of the camera seems to me to move as if pushing out - emerging -

the pink and the grey blue (in my head) play off each other...

just my 10p
cheers

VeeJay Stiles

Wow Jaime!

I never gave 2 hoots about flowers until I started shooting. This one is outstanding.

I'm not normally someone who likes HDR, but I wouldn't even have known unless you said so. This truly is HDR done correctly and to perfection. Great shot!