• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cricket

_MG_0033.jpg

_MG_0034.jpg

_MG_0035.jpg

Which one do you like the best out of the three?

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Number 1 for me, although would be interested in seeing No. 2 in colour.

The crickets head and body is too much in shadow for me on No. 3.

Regards,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Andrew Stannard,

Here is the color version of picture #2
_MG_0034b.jpg

Cody,

Bravo!

I like this one as the cricket dominates the picture and the position is interesting. Here the cricket appears to be coming down to meet us, and that's pleasant. (Going from left to right and rising might have added a sense of positivity, each angle you choose can bring a different effect). Color is needed as there is nothing of much substance outside of the cricket to get involved in an intimate way with tonalities. On the other hand, here, the color is so full of real life and represents nature so well that it's a far better choice. A lot of the essence of the grasshopper is lost in B&W. Now a host of crickets huddling under a rock might be far more interesting fro B&W as the grey scale could be distributed around so many textures, shadows and pattern repeats.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Cody,

I would add that you can use a software program to increase the sharpness all along the cricket. Use a tripod and focus on the head, thorax and abdomen in a series of say 6 pictures and then a focus stacker program will fix them up as one perfect cricket, such as Cris Andrew's hover Fly, here, if that's what you might ever want.

Not that's it's needed here! :)

Asher

Thank you all.

Now, I will tell you the truth on this one.

It was a snapshot, no planning or tripod used.
I even forgot to set the white balance.

Here is a copy of the original file that has been converted from .cr2 to .jpg, then resized down to fit here.
_MG_0034.jpg

Asher Kelman

Thank you all.

Now, I will tell you the truth on this one.

It was a snapshot, no planning or tripod used.
I even forgot to set the white balance.

Here is a copy of the original file that has been converted from .cr2 to .jpg, then resized down to fit here.
_MG_0034.jpg

Cody,

Did you make the previous color correction in RAW or did you first convert it to a jpg and then correct it?

Asher

I still have mixed feelings about shooting in raw, however to the most part I do like it better, just can't shoot as many burst as .jpg