• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Frozen Death

Charlotte Thompson

This was frozen from our Texas snow last winter-part of the inside stalk of a palm- I don't do these kinds of photos but This I like-
Asher, Sister Hubertine all the way!

DSC_0273.jpg

Hi,

It's interesting but did you try to crop a bit on the right, by cutting a light band on the left ? I think it would give more dynamics.

Cedric.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Charlotte,

Yo are branching out!! LOL!!

Excellent subject and interesting approach to lighting. do you still have it to photograph more? I hope so!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Cedric

well yes I did the crop but wanted definitely to have almost the darkest background because of the very stark nature of the subject..I really don't know about the light band to the left....

Asher
Haha! see I hide some of my other works- seriously I do try to find interesting subjects out of the realm of portrait work and thank you! also
I do still have that palm trunk left as it gets more and more depreciated I could try for more effects of its dying-great idea! Sister Hubertine did me proud on this shadow work huh-

John Angulat

pro member
This was frozen from our Texas snow last winter-part of the inside stalk of a palm- I don't do these kinds of photos but This I like-
Asher, Sister Hubertine all the way!

DSC_0273.jpg

I like when you shoot "outside the box"!
What other gems are you keeping from us?

Oh, and I gotta ask...who is Sister Hubertine?

Charlotte Thompson

John

Well thank you my friend- I have some hidden secrets for sure...but I plan to do some more photography on this palm stalk as Asher suggested-it has been changing of course with weather and age and I have seen many possibilities yet with it-
Sister Hubertine was a very old nun in Mount Caramel Catholic school I attended and as as a very young girl I was always interested in art- Sister took an interest in my art and taught me all about how to shadow a piece of work to bring about stronger images- I tend to love shadow as she taught me and work with it in all my pieces though dear Asher has other opinions/ask his Star of David! She was a pretty cool nun when she didn't walk around with that ruler in her hand!

Charlotte-

This is one I did of a dead ivy I think I posted it in here some place or other forum

Death Mask

DSC_0359.jpg

Mark Hampton

I really like this one very much. Composition is very well equilibrated, i find this pic more powerful than first one.

Regards,

Cedric.

charlotte

that silver wipes me out - beautiful.. thanks for posting this... reminds of sally mann's body farm work.

do you have any more... I am greedy !

Charlotte Thompson

Cedric

Thank you!

Mark

I have always loved Sally Mann's work-her work with children especially because she was so very honest and innovative and talented though I didn't know she also loved death" I did look up this fascination and think she and I have much in common- I also have found that in a dying of a a living thing there is much to say and see-it is a part of life and is interesting to explore all its deviations
I am going a different direction now and am pleased and excited with the prospects maybe I should title this series
Death Masks-here are a few more I did-

Death Masks

DSC_0002-9.jpg

DSC_0001-7.jpg

DSC_0010-7.jpg

Mark Hampton

Cedric

Thank you!

Mark

I have always loved Sally Mann's work-her work with children especially because she was so very honest and innovative and talented though I didn't know she also loved death" I did look up this fascination and think she and I have much in common- I also have found that in a dying of a a living thing there is much to say and see-it is a part of life and is interesting to explore all its deviations
I am going a different direction now and am pleased and excited with the prospects maybe I should title this series
Death Masks-here are a few more I did-

Death Masks

DSC_0002-9.jpg

DSC_0001-7.jpg

DSC_0010-7.jpg

I really think the silver you have achieved in "dead ivy" is a beautiful tonality.. Its the best I have seen for a long while - can you move this into this work? all your work?

you have an occasional eye, the close work you make has a feel that relaxes the viewer .... Leave it the way it is and focus in the tone... keep the good...

that’s where your power is .... that silver on the image is one of the most beautiful times i have spent online... if that were a print I made I would be happy..

again thanks

Charlotte Thompson

Mark

Thank you for such inspiration! I have redone 2 trying to achieve that tone you like so much as it was a while ago when I did the ivy I don't really remember exactly how I did it....sighs...
the light was different and was the lens- which as you know plays well with photography
would you please explain to me what " occasional eye means...I am always very willing to learn...
so.. here is what I think I may have done/also you must remember the time of daylight is not the same or the lens but I did try..going back and looking I think I see a tad-ish of brown! maybe...hmmm

DSC_0001-8.jpg

DSC_0002-10.jpg

Mark Hampton

charlotte

occasional eye means - making an occasion out of something photographically - things that are overlooked - that’s what I meant by it. I don’t think its a technical term.. Just a made up markism..

in relation to the tones - i am not great with PS maybe Bart or someone can give you a hand to achieve the same tonality in your images - I am sure its possible.. it’s worth a thread – I would like to ken if there’s a quick way

the last image has a slightly different feel – the leaves encompass the full frame – the other images there is a clump in the middle... just a thought

cheers

Charlotte Thompson

Mark

Thanks for coming back- as for tone as I have mentioned before I think it has to do with the daylight and time of day when I do the shots- I am using a different lens for the series now as before I used a finer portrait lens for "Death Mask" the ivy- but I can see in your work the engagement you have with the silver tones on balck and white- which I think gives the picture a very old kinda look and I do like it- this is not an easy thing to achieve in all pictures
I do really like the unexpected in photography as you call my occasional eye" and I most love "deep shadow" as you love the silver' but a combination would be very amazing to pull off! Oh the ever work on the art of photography eh?

Charlotte