• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What scanner for glass plate and other B&W negatives? 8x10 & smaller!

Will Thompson

I am in in need of a scanner to archive my collection of glass plate and film negatives.

The glass plates are 8x10.

I have traditional 4x5 negatives as well.

They are all Black & White.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am in in need of a scanner to archive my collection of glass plate and film negatives.

The glass plates are 8x10.

I have traditional 4x5 negatives as well.

They are all Black & White.

The best person is Jm Galli but in the meanwhile let me say that the Epson V 700 series is exceptional However, any scanner with 600 dpi will do a good job and that means a print of already 16x20 at 300 dpi. Likely you can print at 240 dpi and do just as well.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Will

I'd second epson V700 or V750. I've been planning on using mine to scan some old glass plates that came from my grandfathers loft many years ago - albeit mine are about 6 by 9cm.

Mike

glass plates with high Dmax?

I have an Epson V500 -- like the current V600, limited features and only scans 6 cm wide, but excellent quality and resolution. Older scanners, not easy to find in reliably good condition, are certainly good enough for scanning large format. Carl Weese uses an old Minolta at modest resolution to produce his large digital prints from 7x18" and 8x10" negatives. There is one advantage of the Epson V750 that may be important for dealing with high density range and scratchy glass plates -- it has an IR channel that can be used for noise reduction without losing resolution, and it comes with software for not just the IR but for multiple exposures to handle the high density ranges.

scott