• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wind in the wires

Doug Kerr

The old literary expression "wind in the wires" takes on new meaning today in North Texas as a major upgrade of the region's electrical power distribution network unfolds, in part justified in terms of providing for the transport of energy from major wind farms being constructed in West Texas. (At least that's how the transmission company got some federal funding for the project!)

Late in 2009, I reported in detail on the addition of a second 345 kV circuit on a line passing near our home. Now, in another project, about 10 miles to the north, an existing transmission line (138 kV, I think) was dismantled and a new two-circuit 345 kV line is being built in its place.

A couple of Sundays ago, as we drove to our favorite Mexican restaurant, we went past the new line and saw that it was in an interesting state of progress. After we returned home, I took my camera and headed back to capture some of its state.

A number of interesting aspects can be seen on a single shot, and I thought I would start my report with that:

345kV2_F21675R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Wind in the wires 2010

On the left side, the three two-conductor bundles are in place, currently resting in "tensioning blocks", large individual pulleys. There purpose is to allow the conductor strands to move freely when they are brought to their final tension.

Normally, these are suspended from the insulators which, later in the process, will hold the conductors via suspension clamps. (We saw some details of those in my earlier report.) In fact, we see that temporary situation for the upper conductor on the left.

But in this case, for the two lower conductors, the blocks are (at the moment) hung from the gantry arms themselves. My guess is that, given that this tower is one side of a span that crosses a road, this is intended to give the required clearance from the road with the greater "sag" the conductors have prior to being finally tensioned.

We can see the insulators for these conductors hanging down from the gantry. For the innermost of the conductors, it will be suspended with a "V" shaped arrangement of two insulators, to prevent the conductors from moving too close to the tower proper in the wind (we can see the arrangement on the right). On the left side, the innermost of those two insulators can just be seen along the left side of the tower proper.

We also see flexible conductors used to ground all the circuit conductors. In this case, with no "live" circuits on the line, this is primarily to prevent any possible problem from electrostatic charge or even lightning strikes.

On the right, the conductors have not yet been put in place. For each one, we see a stringing sheave ("dolly") mounted on the insulator(s) that will later carry the conductors.

A braided rope ("sock line") will be threaded through each of these sets of sheaves for the length of the pulling section (several miles). A winch will then use those to pull through steel cables ("hard lines"). Then these will be used to pull the actual conductor bundles through.

This is done on an alternating basis, with the sock line introduced from one end (equipped with a modest-size winch - the "rope machine") and eventually retrieved at that end (after the hard line has been pulled through, with the sock line, by that winch). The conductor will also be fed from that end. The hard line is introduced at the opposite end (equipped with a rather serious winch - the "puller"), and will be retrieved there after the conductors are pulled through, with the hard line, by that winch.

The two conductors of a bundle are pulled through at the same time, attached to the hard line with a triangular adapter called a "leader board". We see one here (from the earlier project), just approaching a dolly:

345kV_F11884MR.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Leader board in flight

The segmented "tail", by its weight, keeps the board level so it will properly pass through the dolly. It folds up out of the way as the dolly is traversed:

345kV_F11888R.jpg

Douglas Kerr: Leader board traversing a dolly

The hard line passes through the deep center groove of the dolly wheel. The two conductors end up in the smaller, outboard grooves.

The term "sock line" is an interesting one. When the conductors are being pulled, usually the pulling line grips the raw end of the conductor with a braided wire sleeve (a "sock"), operating like the fabled toy "Chinese finger puller". (You can see them on the two pictures just above.)

In the days of more modest conductor sizes, the braided rope was equipped with a sock and used to pull the actual conductor, that understandably leading to the term "sock line" for this rope.

Now, when escalating conductor sizes (and longer pulling sections) require a steel line to actually pull the conductor, and of course it is the steel line (or the leader board) that now has the "sock", the braided rope still carries its hereditary name, "sock line".

More later. Now, I have to help Carla and her daughter-in-law get the place ready for a baby shower for our forthcoming great-grandson, Ethan (you have already seen his portrait, in utero).

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

This shot will help put what follows into context:

345kV2_F21680-01R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Turning the corner

We see on the left the same tower we saw in part 1. The two towers in the center are where the line makes almost a right-angle turn, heading to the switching station just a bit to the right (the destination of this line). There is one tower for each of the two circuits, the duality needed to withstand the total bending moments from the conductor tension. In just a minute, we will zoom in on the work there.

To the right of center, we see a different type of tower (sort of H-shaped). That was the type of tower used by the decommissioned line along the same right of way the new line now occupies.

The H-shaped structures made of telephone poles are temporary guard structures, used to prevent any possibility that, during the work, conductors would actually drop onto a road (in this case, an access road to the work staging area).

The large beige walls are sound barriers surrounding a major gas compressor station, part of the collection and dispatch of natural gas from wells in the Barnett Shale, one of the largest deposits of natural gas in the country. (The standard map of its extent has its centroid exactly where I am sitting now.)

The road on the left is Pearson Ranch Road, originally just the road to Pearson Ranch (!). Mary Pearson, the current owner of the ranch (no longer a working ranch), is a colleague of Carla's in the Parker County Women's and Newcomers' Club.

Here we see the work on the leftmost of the two corner towers (for the circuit whose conductors are already in place:

345kV2_F21674-01R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Jumpers

At the corner towers, the conductors from each direction are "dead-ended" by horizontal insulators tied to the tower proper, rather than just being "suspended". (In this case, there are two insulators in parallel, to handle the tension.)

We can see the conductors going to the right, already dead-ended. The conductors from the left are temporarily tied to the tower, rather that to their insulators.

The crew in the right-most bucket truck are working on a "jumper", conductors hung from an insulator, which will lead from the upper conductor coming from the left to the upper one going to the right. The arm at the top of this tower is only to support that jumper; the dead end insulators for this conductor go to the tower proper (a bit below that arm,).

At the left, near the leftmost bucket, we see the jumper for the lower left conductor. It will hang from two vertical insulators owing to its greater length (since the two conductors it joins are on arms at different azimuths around the tower.

We don't yet see the jumper for the lower right conductor on this circuit.

Overall a fascinating project.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

Thanks for the wonderful pictures and the amazingly coherent, erudite and interesting explanation. I have the feeling that in event of a disaster you might even be able to get this thing going again!

Why are these in the air and not in tunnels underground? Are they laid underground anywhere or is it simply to expensive.

I wonder whether those lift buckets turn up on eBay?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Thanks for the wonderful pictures and the amazingly coherent, erudite and interesting explanation. I have the feeling that in event of a disaster you might even be able to get this thing going again!

No, I have sold all my bucket trucks.

Why are these in the air and not in tunnels underground? Are they laid underground anywhere or is it simply to expensive.

Lines of this capacity are sometimes laid underground, but it is very expensive, mostly because of the voltages involved (in these overhead circuits, the voltage to ground is about 200,000 volts) A very elaborate insulating scheme is needed.

I wonder whether those lift buckets turn up on eBay?

Mostly ones of modest size:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUCKET-TRUCK-50...053?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ea9d9d55d

Bigger ones show up on line in other arenas.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mostly ones of modest size:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUCKET-TRUCK-50...053?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ea9d9d55d

Bigger ones show up on line in other arenas.

Doug,

$35,000 seems reasonable for a two man bucket and the good thing is that the eBay Buyer Protection Program does cover the sale price and original shipping. One has 7 days to return it, but then return shipping is not covered and that's a deal-breaker!

I wonder f one needs a special permit to park the thing and simply rise up 50 ft and look around? Maybe I'll rent one for a day!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I wonder f one needs a special permit to park the thing and simply rise up 50 ft and look around? Maybe I'll rent one for a day!

Here's one (a little smaller) used to shoot part of the 2010 Cherokee National Holiday Parade in Tahlequah, Oklahoma:

Tahlequah_2010_F20790R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Parade Day in Tahlequah

It was actually engaged by one of the candidates for Principal Chief (election next spring), and as soon as the candidate's parade "unit" passed they struck the rig.

Carla is eligible to vote absentee.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Today we find there has been some considerable progress on the new 345 kV transmission line - some of it a little startling.

Here we see the pair of "corner" towers:

345kV2_F21963R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: 345 kV line 2 - left circuit corner complete

On the leftmost one (carrying the "left-hand" circuit) the "jumpers" are all in place, carrying the dead-ended conductors around the tower. In fact, beyond this tower (to the right), the conductors of that circuit are complete and in their suspension hangers at the following towers.

On the rightmost tower, carrying the right-hand circuit, it looks as if the conductors are dead-ended and apparently tied around the tower with temporary jumpers (no suspension insulators, etc.). This may be to facilitate testing. (Remember, I'm just a telephone engineer.)

Here is the next tower toward us:

345kV2_F21966R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: 345 kV line 2 - all conductors in

We see that now the conductors for the right-hand circuit are in place, still in the threading blocks ("dollies"). They have probably been tensioned in those blocks.

The conductors of the left-hand circuit are still in the tensioning blocks, but they are now in their final positions, on the insulators.

And amazingly, the left-hand circuit is now energized. (Yes, I am able to hear it - there is a lot of electrostatic vibration at the tensioning blocks, which are not normally intended to be subjected to an energized line, and they rattle a little. We also note that the grounding jumpers at the left-hand corner tower have all been removed.)

I have to assume that either:

• This is some type of live test that is required at this point (unusual in my experience).

• They had to have the line lit by a certain date to meet some contractual commitment.

• There has been some capacity problem elsewhere in the network, and they needed this line lit early to "cover" it. (Will Thompson suggested this one.) Note that an existing, working single-circuit 345 kV line was dismantled to make room for this one, so things might be a "bit tight".

Here we see the line heading off in the direction away from the switching station (toward the Willow Creek Switching Station):

345kV2_F21970R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: 345 kV line 2 - off toward Willow Creek

Since my last visit, the foundation pillars for the old line towers have been removed, and the wreckage of those towers piled neatly to the side for the moment (mostly out of this frame on the left, but we see a little of it on the right).

Here we see the area just to the right of most of the other pictures in this series, with the Parker Switching Station visible at the right.

345kV2_F21974R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Parker Switching Station

You can see it is quite extensive. I'll try and get come coverage of that shortly.

After this shot, we went off to celebrate the birth of a Charolais calf (although we didn't know that until we got there). See elsewhere in the forum.

Best regards,

Doug

Mark Hampton

Doug,

thanks for posting this... I enjoyed reading through and looking at your pictures (if you want any help in smashing the to bits give me a shout!! ((the pictures that is))

In relation ot the people baskets - I had a licence to drive a 150m one... Every person should have one of these.. they give you such a different angle on life... you can drive them when your fully extended.. the sway is beautiful

cheers