• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Beaver Creek Today -

Jaime Johnson

http://jaimejohnson.zenfolio.com/

Canon 5D Mark II / Canon 180mm L

p972112845-4.jpg

John Angulat

pro member
Splendid image!
I would imagine this effort took many, many attempts to get it just right.
Were it me, I would have run out of light or patience!

Jaime Johnson

Thanks -

It is always frustrating to do the water drops. It is getting colder here in Montana which adds to the frustration. I won't go into detail on just how many shots it took to finally get it right, but it was a bunch!

J-

Paul Abbott

At first glance I thought this was taken in the wilds, but then I noticed the stillness of the water, and the silhouette of rooftops in the top-half of the image.

Very nice and colourful.

Jaime Johnson

At first glance I thought this was taken in the wilds, but then I noticed the stillness of the water, and the silhouette of rooftops in the top-half of the image.

Very nice and colourful.

Sorry Paul, creative comment but this was taken in the wilds - if you see a house silhouette, it must have been build when I wasn't looking! There were no houses within 10 miles of the site!

Besides, the two 580EXII's light up the area - there would be no silhouettes!

In order to get "Stillness", we built a small rock barrier around our site. It is quite a process..

You must be mistakenly looking at the leaf that is half under water or the water on the rock!
; )

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jaime,

A fabulous piece of work.

I'm can imagine the gigantic effort that went into this result. But it was well worth it.

Best regards,

Doug

Jaime Johnson

It's actually funny what different people see! I hadn't even noticed the rock or leaf. I did correct (improve) both in the image that I submitted to a magazine yesterday. I'm glad you pointed them out!

As far as the water clarity, this is Montana - we have a lot of cear cold water! ; )

Jamie, this looks to me like two drops in sequence. The first hit the surface which ejected a droplet upward. This ejected drop was intercepted by the second drop in midair. Just a guess, of course.

Did you trip the shutter manually?

Andy brown

I also live in an area with cool clear water in the creeks. When I take a drink, I stick my whole face in the water and take deep slurps. I love it.

I just realised something that my subconscious mind has been trying to tell me for days.
The water droplet looks uncannily like a champagne saucer glass turned upside down. I know the base is a bit free form but it's such a good likeness (in my mind anyway), with the first ring of ripples being the rim of the glass.

A stunning image of course.

A toast!

Jaime Johnson

Jamie, this looks to me like two drops in sequence. The first hit the surface which ejected a droplet upward. This ejected drop was intercepted by the second drop in midair. Just a guess, of course.

Did you trip the shutter manually?

It is as you said - a drop on drop. Quite frustrating to capture! We (my wife and I) did trip the shutter manually. Took several hundred to get the shot - we were both cold and ready to go home by the time it happened!