• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ian + desert

charlie chipman

Ian is a musician and friend of mine.
We were going to 29 palms (Joshua Tree) for the weekend and
I knew he wanted some pictures for his upcoming album he is working on.
I threw some camera gear and a big mirror in the car just in case the opportunity arose.
It didn't take long for that opportunity to arise, 10-15 minutes or so after we arrived we setup a light and mirror.

Your critiques are welcomed.

mirror2sm.jpg

mirror1sm.jpg

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Certainly a great idea though I'd say that the background could do with the same level of punch that the image in mirror has. Or much less, either way.

charlie chipman

Hi Ben I appreciate sharing your thoughts.

I choose to make the background darker for a couple reasons, one to keep the mirror as the central point of interest so it "pops" out of the picture as such, and another I feel like I would have lost colours and saturation with an increased exposure.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Charlie,

This is orginal. I've not seen a mirror before, used in this way for an album shot outside. I like the effect, but I'd have thrown some dirt on it. It's simple, immediately catches one's attention and the bare shins give an extra edge.

mirror1sm.jpg

Certainly a great idea though I'd say that the background could do with the same level of punch that the image in mirror has. Or much less, either way.

Ben,

My thoughts are that the name of the album creates the balance for the other elements in the3 picture, so this may be fine!

Asher

charlie chipman

Hi Asher,
Thank you for your comments.

I don't know about throwing dirt on the mirror itself, but perhaps more piling up of dirt in front of it.
Ahh why not, I guess I should throw some dirt on the mirror and see what becomes of it.
I like the area where the small plant is right in front of the mirror so will play around with that some as well, of course it is a minuscule detail in the web world.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher,
Thank you for your comments.

I don't know about throwing dirt on the mirror itself, but perhaps more piling up of dirt in front of it.
Ahh why not, I guess I should throw some dirt on the mirror and see what becomes of it.
I like the area where the small plant is right in front of the mirror so will play around with that some as well, of course it is a minuscule detail in the web world.

Charlie,

The mirror is a handy prop we all should have. First for insight and then for repeating part of an object from another point of view. Different mirrors would be a great idea too!

Asher

Jean Henderson

Hi Carlie,

Great concept. My only issue with it is that the size of your friend in the mirror is dwarfed by his surroundings. If you want to make it "pop", why not bring more attention to him through mass? His size in what you present just doesn't cut it for me if I were considering an album purchase. Just my 2 cents.

Jean