• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Why not?

VeeJay Stiles

Posted in a few areas, thought I should throw a few in here as well :)

Spring / Summer in New Brunswick is magical for photogs. Blooms everywhere you look and everyone and their dog has nice gardens with beautiful flowers. My mother-in-law is no exception and every Saturday I'm out in her yard snapping like crazy.

All of these are taken from her yard:

This one... first time I've done anything really "thoughtful" when it comes to shooting. I wanted to capture the beauty of this flower with a contrast of the dying one just behind it. A 'beauty and the beast' if you will...

Thanks for looking and, as always, any C&C is always welcomed :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Veejay,

All of these flower pictures are well done. My remarks are based on me liking them very much. I am happy with all of them. So my questions are more about presentation of the pictures you succeeded in making.

Where these cropped? I wonder what they looked like straight from your camera? Also, the carefully executed dark frame might be a constraining interference with the observer fully experiencing the power of the pictures. Just my impression, bur it might just be that they are constrained to some extent the crisp impressive frames.

One could argue that, here, at least, the bold black bar below the picture acts as a compositional counterweight to the dark central globe of the flower. That's interesting; more than that, it's splendid!

Nevertheless, for your picture set, it might be a mistake to use the frame, thus. To my mind, the picture should dominate it's space and have dominion over your mind to fully live and exercise it's power of magic on us. White mattes and a simple black or silver line would seem better or just center the picture and have white space all around.

Asher

Asher Kelman

lol Asher.... it protects my work simply because NOONE is going to download and then PRINT an image with a huge black border and the shooters name glaringly across the middle. Sure you can download it... the border and my name protects me from someone turning around and SELLING PRINTS AS THEIR OWN. It's done every day and photographers NEED to protect their work.

Doug: New Brunswick Canada ;)

Veejay,

What am I missing here?

You have used your ideas and skill to produce immediately impressive and attractive eye-catching image. Of course people will be moved by it and some will want to use you idea in their own work. Nefarious folk simply show respect for your worth by stealing the image and passing it off as their own. Not unreasonable from their way of thinking. After all you can make more and they cannot. It's not locked up so it must be that you expect pilfering!

The procedure is fast and requires minimum skill. The image is swiped to the desktop and the border cropped to the white space. 5 seconds of no effort. Someone stealing your images would surely be willing to invest these minimum time. The crop could be an action. A faster way would be to select a rectangle in your bottom frame and fill it with the frame color.] or use the clone brush to eradicate your name!

OTOH, I hope your carefully images are protected by relative small size, your name embedded in the IPTC code (or even in the matrix of the image file, as spies do). You also include penalties for illegal use in your Rights of use section of the IPTC code. Ideally the picture will be stollen by Nestlé or Champion Nike or the likes and you will get a big fat check

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Asher,
As owner of this forum you have every right to do so.
However, for the record I do not agree.
The individual's comments and our responses might not have been in the best of decourum.
Nonetheless they should remain.
They speak to our feelings and emotions.
They are what this forum is all about - open, honest dialog.
For me, it is a free-speech issue.
Nonethess I will always support your decisions.

Nill Toulme

I believe they were deleted because they were not really the member's comments, but rather "hacked" in by someone who gained unauthorized access to his computer. Entirely appropriate to delete under those circumstances.

Nill

Asher Kelman

Then I stand corrected.
However, I believe that should have been communicated to us.

John and everyone else who has contribured.

You make a good point. Each person has put in considerable thought into their responses but there are lot of folk to be contacted individually and one would have to wait for answers. Sometimes, an issue is like a black hole, sucking in light and energy. Once V.J. stated that he was hacked, removing the materials, cut down the time allocated to a dead-end poor-payoff diversion. On rare and exceptional cases like I merely move such threads and publish what I've done. If I would make a mistake, it can rectified in 5 seconds.

Each new registrant is checked out to see they are not a spammer and more than 60% are thus excluded. As a result, spammers, BOTs are rare. Troll's take more effort to uncover as do folk who plagiarise other folks pictures. These take the most effort and pain. We want to spend the least resources on such activity and try to be efficient, honest and respectful, but it's not without cost.

A long answer for saying thanks for your trust and support.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

These are complicated and difficult matters. I certainly feel that OPF has a much better overall situation with regard to such things than many other forums I visit (both in photography and in other fields).

The passengers on any vessel look to the captain to make decisions - timely - for the best welfare of all aboard. Rarely does he know what might be "ideal". If his guess results in a wreck, rarely can even the Board of Inquiry ascertain what would have been "ideal".

Flank(ing) speed, notre capitaine.

Best regards,

Doug

John Angulat

pro member
So I might understand correctly - there never was a "VeeJay", just someone masquerading as him?
Or, there really is a Veejay and someone hacked replies, masquerading as him?
I'm still confused.

Nontheless my captain, I trust your navigation skills implicitly.

Doug Kerr

Hi, John,

So I might understand correctly - there never was a "VeeJay", just someone masquerading as him?
Or, there really is a Veejay and someone hacked replies, masquerading as him?
What we have heard is this:

The real VeeJay Stiles (son of Peggy and Vern Stiles, grandson of the late James Dobson and Jean Dobson, great-grandson of the late Noble and Margaret Dobson, etc. etc.) joined this forum, and in the thread of interest, made some comments on wedding photographic technique. They were rather "absolute".

Later, a colleague, masquerading as VeeJay, posted in his name some further observations on wedding photography, the accursed Fuji cameras, and the shortcomings of our host, Asher (various spellings used).

Now as to what really happened, I don't know. There is this story about this carpenter from Nazareth . . ..

Best regards,

Doug

Ken Tanaka

pro member
1932_dr_jekyll_and_mr_hyde.jpg

John Angulat

pro member
Doug, your wry humor is always appreciated, as are your unique explanations!
Ken, that's priceless. I always believed there was a hidden dark comic within you!

VeeJay Stiles

Hey, real VeeJay here

Very sorry for all this folks. Long story short, really is in my signature.

A coworker was let go about a month ago. About a week ago, the girls said their PC's were being weird : things gone that were there / customer reports / insurance claim forms.

A few employees have access remotely to the system. Looks like someone forgot to delete access after he was let go.

He was nice to me judging from what other say he did to their PC's and the things on it.

Anyway... real me will be posting from here on out :) Again, very sorry about this guys.. I'm quite embarrassed even though it's the internet. Not me, and I don't like people thinking I would be like that.

Thanks for any chances to prove I'm actually nice :)