• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

[V, UV, BV, FL] Aster

Dr Klaus Schmitt

A few Aster hybride shots, which has no noticeable UV patterns, as expected though.

Visible light shot using Baader UV/IR Cut filter and Xenon flash
original.jpg

UV (ultraviolet light) shot using Baader U-filter and Xenon flash
original.jpg

BV (simulated butterfly vision) shot using XBV2 filter and Xenon flash
original.jpg

FL (UV induced visible flouorescence) shot using Nichia 365nm UV LED and Baader UV/IR Cut filter in front of the lens
original.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A few Aster hybride shots, which has no noticeable UV patterns, as expected though.

Visible light shot using Baader UV/IR Cut filter and Xenon flash

original.jpg

UV (ultraviolet light) shot using Baader U-filter and Xenon flash

original.jpg

So, Klaus, is it reasonable to infer that to the pollinating insects, there is no diversion of interest to the general foliage as it's invisible in UV light? Or does the visible light really make them as important.

Of course, they detect the nectar molecules in the air, but for visual clues it would be neat if almost everything else was removed from their view.

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

That hybride flower is infertile as it has no stamens or any other "sex organs" anymore, so I woudl not use this example to generalize. (You have edited into my posting ... ehemmm)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
That hybride flower is infertile as it has no stamens or any other "sex organs" anymore, so I woudl not use this example to generalize. (You have edited into my posting ... ehemmm)

I didn't mean to edit by just showing two pictures, rather the visible light v. the UV. Just wondering about signals in UV to insects where the flower is fertile. IOW, what advantages are there in the investment on sensors to pick up UV light?

Asher