• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Getting Personal

Cem_Usakligil

Well, it kind of surprises me to see that I own at least 78 of the DVDs on your list Dierk, and have seen many more than that (possibly somewhere around 80-85%) :).

When do you find the time to catalogue those? Wait, don't tell me, I guess I have an idea (LOL).

Cheers and thanks for sharing,

Cem

Dierk Haasis

pro member
The pertinent question is, when do I watch them? And rest assured that all of them have been watched by me several times, some of the movies I've seen more than a hundred times [Blues Brothers for instance].

One thing, there's a mediocre hit sampler among them - I got that for free in conjunction with some marketing ploy.

PS: The photography catch is, that my visual influences are mostly cinematic with some painters thrown in.

Mary Bull

Dierk, I have learned every significant thing that I know about movies from you.

And, as you're well aware, you are the one who laid the foundation of what understanding I possess of photography, also, and taught me almost everything further that I know in that field, as well. What little I do know, that is.

Mary

Cem_Usakligil

Dierk Haasis said:
...PS: The photography catch is, that my visual influences are mostly cinematic with some painters thrown in.
Yet another thing we seem to have in common then.

Were you talking about the "Die ultimativen Chart Hits aus den 80'ern" when you wrote "mediocre hit sampler"? That's the odd one I could spot in the short time I had. One thing that intrigues me and makes me laugh quite often is the translation of the movie titles into German. Some of them are really hilarious such as "Der Mann mit dem goldenen Colt" or "Stirb langsam" or "Und täglich grüßt das Murmeltier" (LOL).

I have seen The Blues Brothers at least 8 times since it is a favourite of mine. Has helped me to "see the light" ;-).

Cheers,

Cem
(It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses......Hit it!)

Ray West

I thought the second 'Blues Brothers' was pretty good, too, but it got slighted in the reviews. Loved Aretha at the end.....

Best wishes, Ray (loved it so much, I went back, put in capital letters, and quotes, all proper like)

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Ray, there's two reasons why the abysmally bad BB 2K is in my collection:

1. The set was cheaper than the - then not even available to me - first movie alone.
2. Some of the music in it is quite good (although not the tired Aretha).

Cem, you are right about that Chart DVD. Two of the titles you mention are quite literal translations, the James Bond [BTW, one of the 3 worst] gets the brand name only because it is used generically in German; Die Hard is part of an idiom for which no sensible German expression exists, 'Stirb langsam' is quite good.

Much worse than those cited are those titles where we get a [pseudo] English title which is not the original - the only example in my collection is at least still correct: Tiger & Dragon.