• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Our Lady of Socorro

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Merry Christmas to all!

Altar at the Church of Nossa Senhora do Socorro in the village of Socorro, Goa.

Taken with 5D Mark II + TS-E 17L. For more, go here.

socorro-altar.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There must be a lot of story about the detailed work here. There's so much form and decoration, figures and symbols. How many are even Christian?

Altogether the assembled works present a glorious sight and evidence of a rich source of support for the Church in Goa.

I'm impressed!

I wonder what voices would say if they could speak from the shadows?

Asher

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
There must be a lot of story about the detailed work here. There's so much form and decoration, figures and symbols. How many are even Christian?

Altogether the assembled works present a glorious sight and evidence of a rich source of support for the Church in Goa.

I'm impressed!

I wonder what voices would say if they could speak from the shadows?

Asher

Asher,

Goan Catholics have retained quite a bit of their pre-Christian Hindu past, in matters of rituals, practices, festivals, dress & decoration. Even Goa's churches are unique in that regard, combining European styles with local architectural forms. Currently Catholics constitute around 30% of the state's population.