• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A couple of the grandson

Erie Patsellis

pro member
We spent the other night shooting our annual family pictures of my stepdaughter and her family at the studio, here's a couple of my 11 month old grandson Avery, his personality is starting to show more and more, these pictures certainly captured it:

averyseatedsmall.jpg

averystandingsmall.jpg

Shot with an S5, Tamron 28-75 2.8. Lighting was a 7' generic octabox with a Photogenic monolight. Very little post processing, mostly clearing up a few blemishes and some sharpening, nothing drastic. C&C always welcome.

erie

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton Lofgren

The second one is typical of the stuff I try to do- we even use the same lens. At first glance I like it, but after a closer look I find a hand missing. Am guessing that he has both.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We spent the other night shooting our annual family pictures of my stepdaughter and her family at the studio,............/QUOTE]

averyseatedsmall.jpg

Erie Patsellis: Avery

Erie,

This is exceptional. I like the Rockwell like view of Avery. This one is my favorite of the two. Continue this, doing 5-10 shots at a time, a collect the best. You have aced the lighting. That 7 ft softbox really makes the lighting just right. Putting it to one side adds dimension, but even that is not needed really with such a perfect subject. Some might think that this large light is going to be too "flat". However, one then gets richer hues and more subtle tonalities and the drama comes not from the extra light, but rather the pose and the child.

This picture shows that more is less! I hope you don't have to take down the setup. I simply hate breaking down softboxes!

Great job!

Asher

Erie Patsellis

pro member
Clayton, it was a grab shot, he was getting restless and we were trying to entertain him. Funny how those things work, isn't it?

Asher,
I bought a five foot and seven foot from amvona on ebay a few years back, the seven was set up in my friends studio a couple of years ago and just never broken down (thankfully!). I love the light from it, the catchlights are nearly perfect, and I don't worry about blocking my light source whatsoever, I sometimes forget it's behind me when I'm shooting.

We do this every year with them, they moved from Eau Claire, WI to Minneapolis and we don't get to see them nearly enough, so the least we can do is give them family pictures every christmas. Of all the family shots I took the one that I ended up liking was one where the main didn't go off, and I had to pull the exposure up 4 stops and then played with the wonky looking image for the heck of it. Turned out to be one of my favorites of the entire session even if it falls far outside of "traditonal" portraiture. I'll see if I have it handy and upload it as well. Oddly, it really portrays them well, if somewhat unusually.

**EDIT** I found it:

DSCF9613.jpg

fahim mohammed

Erie, Thank you for sharing some of your family photos with us.

You must be proud, rightly so.

I find all family photos super.

They are done wih Feeling. Love. Pride. Always.

There cannot be anything better. It is as personal and emotional as one can get.

Regards.

p.s. Critique...maybe if posted in the photo discussion threads, you shall get more views and opinions.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
.........I took the one that I ended up liking was one where the main didn't go off, and I had to pull the exposure up 4 stops and then played with the wonky looking image for the heck of it. Turned out to be one of my favorites of the entire session even if it falls far outside of "traditonal" portraiture. I'll see if I have it handy and upload it as well. Oddly, it really portrays them well, if somewhat unusually.

DSCF9613.jpg

Erie,

What's the original file form? In any case, todays' Capture One and Adobe Camera RAW, DXO and so forth, are so more capable of rescuing images. You might get a whole new insight to how this might be presented. After all, it's a favorite! You will be pleasantly surprised as to how much more leeway you have.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

Erie,

What's the original file form? In any case, todays' Capture One and Adobe Camera RAW, DXO and so forth, are so more capable of rescuing images. You might get a whole new insight to how this might be presented. After all, it's a favorite! You will be pleasantly surprised as to how much more leeway you have.

Asher
It may well be possible to recover more details from this picture using modern raw converters. But I wonder whether that is either necessary or desirable. The picture as it is looks great to me. It is about capturing the soul of this happy family and it has achieved that with flying colors. I would not change a thing myself.

@Erie: all 3 great pictures (but I like the 1st the most). Thanks for sharing them with us.

Cheers,

Erie Patsellis

pro member
Erie,

Asher

Asher, I shoot everything in RAW with both cameras, I had first tried a fairly "straight"recovery and even after noise ninja, it just wasn't cutting it. While I generally get exposure nailed consistently, when a strobe fails to fire, there's only so much I can do. ambient lighting was extremely low, and my fill was about 3 stops down from the key light, while it sounds like an extreme ratio, the 7' octabox, with such a large area, practically "self fills" and having my fill down that low just keeps the shadows from going really dark, at the end of the day, in an RA4 print from our in-house Frontier, it works perfectly. I've spent a great deal of time working with my friend on getting his lighting and processing consistent. After 3 years, by limiting his modifier choices and having a handful of "standard" lighting setups, the work coming out of the studio is quite likely some of the best in the area, both creatively and technically. He's not a technical guy, and it's been a bit of a challenge, to say the least.

I use a Lightroom based workflow, whether shooting film or digital, with final editing (if necessary) in PS4. It's the most streamlined and time efficient method I've found yet. And for 99.5% of what I shoot, I refuse to use anything other than RAW. My S2 is the only camera I rarely shoot in RAW, just jpg's SOOC, but I use it more as a point and shoot than a serious camera, unless I need a second body.