• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Another Watch.

I like how this turned out, but there is some thing off and I can't place it.

_MG_0673.jpg

Kathy Ireland Watch By Cody White​

Doug Kerr

Hi, Martin,

Well, the time is wrong, for a start. It is 2:41 pm on my clock.

Your clock must be wrong. I have 12:24.

More to the point, the face time on the watch does not match the time in the Exif metadata (for any time zone that I am aware of).

Best regards,

Doug

Well, the time is wrong, for a start. It is 2:41 pm on my clock.

Happy New Year!

Martin

Hi, Martin,

Your clock must be wrong. I have 12:24.

More to the point, the face time on the watch does not match the time in the Exif metadata (for any time zone that I am aware of).

Best regards,

Doug
Doug,
Martin,

Yea that happens when it has no battery in it to keep time, so it's correct two times a day.

Cody

Alain Briot

pro member
What's "off" is the watch is positioned horizontally. From a cursory search for "watches" it appears that watches are shown either standing up or diagonally positioned in the frame. I don't know if they sell better that way (most watch photography is commercial) but it certainly influences how we expect watches to be photographed:
See watches on Google images

Alain,

Thanks for the link, and upon going though many of the pages, it seems that it is ok to lay a watch on it's side.

I also looked at Rolex's page and seen one or two on there side.

Cody

Alain Briot

pro member
Cody,

I expected you to say this. Certainly, if you look at hundreds of photos, you'll find some where the watch is sideways. In fact, if you look at even more photos, you' ll find watches shot from behind, and all sort of other compositions that are uncommon. My point is exactly that: this is uncommon. As Jake accurately says, looking at the watch sideways is uncomfortable. That's why your image looks "off."

Now, this is a free country, and if you want to photograph your watch sideways, or anyway you like, that's 100% OK with me. Just don't ask why your photo looks off!

Alain,
Jake,

Thank you both.
Now I see what your saying, about my head having to tilt.
I will have to work on this some more.

Alain Briot

pro member
Cody,

Here's a simple test that will teach you volumes: take photos of watches leaning, standing, sideways, and any composition you may think of. Then post them all here and ask who likes what. Poll it in other words. The results will tell you what peeople like and dislike in watches photography. From there you can do what you want: either what they like, or what they dislike, or anywhere between these two extremes. But at least you'll know where people stand.

The best examples I've ever found for watch photography are the ads in glossy magazines for high-end watches like Tissot, Breitling, Rolex, etc.

They spend lots of time and money making their watches look "desirable" which is one of the things that seems missing about your photo.

You should think about what kind of picture you want of your watch. A snapshot for your own memories; almost anything is fine. A photo to sell the watch on eBay; shoot it in a white tent so every scratch and defect is shown. An emulation of a watch advertisment; then you must learn to shoot it in that style.

A good place to start learning about how to shoot watches and other reflective objects is the book "Light - Science & Magic." It teaches you how light works and how to control shadows and reflections - the first requirement of product photography.

Alain Briot

pro member
Watch photography, when done at the top level like Breitling etc., is very work intensive and requires specific knowledge. Because watches are constructed with several different materials, each material requires a different type of lighting to look its best. This implies several different captures, each for a specific material. On a single watch, at that level of photography, there will be at the very least a capture for the watch metallic parts, one for the bezel (the glass part), and one for the band if it is leather or rubber. In addition, there will be several captures for the metal parts if markedly different metals or finishes are used. Finally, there will be at least one capture for the background. Often, the background is shot separately and added as another layer.

With film this was done through in-camera masking using large format (4x5 but mainly 8x10 Sinars - only large format allowed the precise masking required). Today this is done in Photoshop by layering the different captures.

Quite a bit more challenging than laying a watch on the kitchen counter and using basic lighting!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Alain,

Watch photography, when done at the top level like Breitling etc., is very work intensive and requires specific knowledge. Because watches are constructed with several different materials, each material requires a different type of lighting to look its best. This implies several different captures, each for a specific material. On a single watch, at that level of photography, there will be at the very least a capture for the watch metallic parts, one for the bezel (the glass part), and one for the band if it is leather or rubber. In addition, there will be several captures for the metal parts if markedly different metals or finishes are used. Finally, there will be at least one capture for the background. Often, the background is shot separately and added as another layer.

With film this was done through in-camera masking using large format (4x5 but mainly 8x10 Sinars - only large format allowed the precise masking required). Today this is done in Photoshop by layering the different captures.

Quite a bit more challenging than laying a watch on the kitchen counter and using basic lighting!
Thanks for that insight.

I am not surprised that this is what it takes.

Best regards,

Doug

Alain Briot

pro member
Here's an interesting example:

Romain Jerome Titanic DNA watch

At 300k for a single watch the watchmaker will purposefully spend a lot of money on photography and advertising. One of the basic concepts of marketing is the more expensive the product or service is, the more you can spend on advertising it.

While I don't know who did the photography and digital processing, I have no doubt the photographer alone charged a six figure fee (100 to 300k). The advertising campaign cost several millions $.

Whether selling a luxury watch made from bits of the Titanic is in good taste or not is an entirely different matter. It did cause a stir when it was released in mid-2008.

Mark Hampton

I like how this turned out, but there is some thing off and I can't place it.

_MG_0673.jpg

Kathy Ireland Watch By Cody White​

Cody,

call me mental -

this is more about time than most images of watches ......

ffs cody do some vistas ...

keep going wee your time pieces .. they mean more in relation to photography than tired landscapes

cheers

Cody,

call me mental -

this is more about time than most images of watches ......

ffs cody do some vistas ...

keep going wee your time pieces .. they mean more in relation to photography than tired landscapes

cheers
Forgive my lack of abbreviations, what is ffs?
and please explain more.

Cody

The only thing I can see that can be improved, is not the placing, but just the fact that the background is too much on focus and a slight blur might enhance the difference between the background (those patterns of stone, too detailed) and the plainness of the metal.

I don't know if C&C is accepted. But I had a quick try, exaggerated on purpose. I'll post it if you want to

Martin Evans

The only thing I can see that can be improved, is not the placing, but just the fact that the background is too much on focus and a slight blur might enhance the difference between the background (those patterns of stone, too detailed) and the plainness of the metal.

I agree about the background. The dividing line between the upper background (vertical stone?) and the lower part (horizontal stone?) is too sharp. It distracts from the general effect. One can even see this line passing through the 'castellations' of the back of the strap. The rock surfaces do add much nice texture; it's just that the junction is jarring.

A small point: the exact location of the 'winder' (time-setting) knob also seems to create a window in one of the bracelet links.

I'm assuming that the image is meant to be a general study of a shape, rather than an image intended for commercial advertizing. As others have commented, commercial watch adverts are extremely slick and artificial. They used to become commoner in the weeks leading up to Christmas, but now they seem to clutter up the pages of glossy magazines throughout the year. Male bling!

Martin

This whole watch project is really starting to give me a headache.

So far I have shot this watch over 200 times now different angles, with and with out flash(s), different colored backgrounds, plain white no frills at all.
I have tried mirrors, painted glass, tile.

And for some unknown reason I like this one the best of them all, even if it is all wrong shot on scrap floor tile, and a overhead compact florescent light with a white piece of paper tape to the dome.

I will start a new thread with a poll to see what is working or not later on tonight.

Thank you all for the advice I have received on this.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cody,

...And for some unknown reason I like this one the best of them all, even if it is all wrong shot on scrap floor tile, and a overhead compact florescent light with a white piece of paper tape to the dome.

I will start a new thread with a poll to see what is working or not later on tonight....
Does this mean that either:
a) you have made up your mind but you want to secure the acceptance of others; or
b) you can't decide and want a random group of people to give you false assurances by means of a poll?

In any case, it is your picture and you alone are in charge. I think you have been given excellent advice BTW.

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

Whether selling a luxury watch made from bits of the Titanic is in good taste or not is an entirely different matter. It did cause a stir when it was released in mid-2008.

and sank without trace?

I'll get me coat...

But first, the Titanic was not really a great success story, so the idea of selling a watch made from old bits of it as a luxury item is slightly unusual in that it doesn't pander to an association with success. Perhaps it's just rarity or ghoulishness that drives this one?

Mike

Hi Cody,

Does this mean that either:
a) you have made up your mind but you want to secure the acceptance of others; or
b) you can't decide and want a random group of people to give you false assurances by means of a poll?

In any case, it is your picture and you alone are in charge. I think you have been given excellent advice BTW.

Cheers,

Cem,
I want neither a. or b..
I want C. unbiased opinions from strangers, So I can learn from my mistakes, and to improve on them.

From what I have learned so far on this is big companies spend way too much time on Computer Aided designs and faking the true image.

Is going back to the basics of doing all the trickery before taking the shot.

Cem_Usakligil

Cody,
...I want C. unbiased opinions from strangers, So I can learn from my mistakes, and to improve on them.
I was under the impression that the people who have provided C&C were doing just that; i.e. telling you what you are doing wrong and how you can improve. My mistake.

Cheers,

Cody,

I was under the impression that the people who have provided C&C were doing just that; i.e. telling you what you are doing wrong and how you can improve. My mistake.

Cheers,
I know they have been, And I have learned from it.
It just seams like people like fancy dolled up, than the low tech basics.

so I can trash my editing then...no offence intended :)

Sorry I missed your post earlier, feel free to post it.

ok, just to see my point, it looks nearly ;) like the one you posted...to me there's nothing really wrong with yours. At least it looks like a real watch.

watch.jpg

as I said it's exaggerated...
You can see it done quickly because the reflections of the stone on the metal is sharper and more saturated than the stone itself...

This whole watch project is really starting to give me a headache.

So far I have shot this watch over 200 times now different angles, with and with out flash(s), different colored backgrounds, plain white no frills at all.
I have tried mirrors, painted glass, tile.

-snip-

Becoming expert at a complex process, such as watch photography, takes lots of practice. I shot over 700 images of my mandolin before I was willing to show my work to the public.

One cause of your impatience is very likely because of your DIY tools. You (and I) will never make an image as smooth and perfect as those we see in ads with our gear, but with patience and practice we can come very close.

Alain Briot

pro member
I like Cody's statement about "big companies" "faking the true image".

This implies that there are some "true images" out there. I'd like to be pointed to one of those! I thought images were images, not reality, but then what do I know.

More seriously, it has become common practice for "big companies" to use CAD in place of photography for advertising. This is commonly done for cars for example because car photography is very expensive (significantly more than watch photography which as I mentioned earlier isn't cheap) and because cars cannot always be placed where the ad director would like. For example, most of the Hummer "photos" were done with CAD, only the tires and wheels were photographed on site, carefully placed to be located exactly where the Hummer will be in the final image.

That way the car can be shown in locations where it would be very difficult to physically drive it, either because of adverse terrain, or because permits cannot be secured (in National Parks for example). I have seen ads for Jeep that show cars where I know I can barely hike to, where driving is impossible, and where commercial photography is not permitted. This means CAD is how they were done.

Food for thought for the next time we buy a car on the basis of a photograph! Hint to car buyers (all of us I suppose, unless we are committed to using bicycles or public transportation for the rest of our lives): buy the vehicle based on how it drives, not only on how it looks, and certainly not on the basis of any photograph. All car photographs make the car look better than it can ever be in reality. You are basically sold an image, not the actual product and definitely not how the car looks in reality (hint: images are not real. Only reality is real. Even then, some question that too but that's another story altogether) . This is true for many products, watches being one of them.