• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Untitled

Cem_Usakligil

Another picture from the archives.

f02728.jpg

Cheers,

John Angulat

pro member
Well Cem I'm happy you've taken up mining as a hobby!
Keep digging up these gems!
I really like the color tones. It fits the subject and presentation very well.
Wow, nicely done!

Looks like Joan of Arc,
when her walkman started to melt...
She turned her face to god and said "Shall I deserve that"
Then she smelled like the toaster is going wrong.

Perfide Albion!

:)

another French maid outfit, I suppose.
But anyway, I'd like to know if it's really JofA, and where Cem did find this statue.
There is one in the cathedral of Chichester if I remind well, and I'd never expect to find one in such an hostile country :)
She's a saint for the Catholics, but I must admit she's not well known outside the "baguette and Camembert" wonderland...

edit: Winchester, my mistake...
Joan of Arc

(now it's more like bondage) :)

fahim mohammed

Hello Cem, a secret I share with you. To me all women are beautiful and saints! It is only a short while later that the reality dawns.

Beautiful capture.

Regards.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi guys and gal,

Thanks for chiming in, appreciated.

Well Cem I'm happy you've taken up mining as a hobby!
Keep digging up these gems!
I really like the color tones. It fits the subject and presentation very well.
Wow, nicely done!
I'll dig up some more today John. This one has grabbed my attention due to the low-key lighting, the colours and the structure of the wall. Last but not least, the feeling of loneliness and being left behind which comes to my mind.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Re: Albion vs Gallia:

What a bunch of old-fashioned rivalry. Just give the French and the British the slightest nudge and off they go again, lol.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

another French maid outfit, I suppose.
But anyway, I'd like to know if it's really JofA, and where Cem did find this statue.

...She's a saint for the Catholics, but I must admit she's not well known outside the "baguette and Camembert" wonderland...

Well, I should admit that I don't know for 100% sure whether this is Jeanne d'Arc or not. But since the picture was taken in a Catholic church in the Aquitaine region of France, the chances are high that she is indeed her.

BTW, I am quite certain that Jeanne d'Arc enjoys global fame and not only in Western France. She is an icon of leadership and dedication to one's beliefs, among other virtues.

Cheers,

Since as I'm here, I've never really experience real rivalry. More cliché stuff like the garlic necklace (More a Monthy python or hallo-hallo thing, I suppose). And the assumption that we all are good cookers, wine drinkers and strikers.

I think that they get used to us at the moment. For the people I know, they couldn't care less about history and the past....
"Keep your accent, it's so sexy!"
It works for my husband, Dammit!

Cem_Usakligil

Do you see the light?

Some of you might remember this one I have shown in 2009. It was taken in the same church as the picture of Jeanne d'Arc above.

f02695.jpg

Do you see the light?

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Nice choice of angle as the light from the windows "illuminate" the cross.
The organ fills the space nicely. I like it!
Thanks Sandrine. The composition is indeed aimed at capturing this illumination hitting the cross. Also the title gives a clue, I hope. :)

Now here is a dilemma I have been wrestling with. I have also done a reworked version in which I have "corrected" the perspective and have gotten rid of the messy left hand side of the column in the process. But I can't decide which one is more powerful. What do you think?

f02699.jpg

Do you see the light? - Reworked version

Cheers,

Honestly, now, that I see the second. I prefer the second...But in a sense it's less "natural", more "perfected", less documentary, more constructed. Being less natural further I'd remove the speakers (But now it's too far, Sandrine)

Mike Shimwell

Cem

Joan of Arc and no HDR - I like it very much. The subdued tones are courageous in the current vernacular, but very beautiful. The solitary enclosure of the walls is moving, reinforcing the aloneness of the figure.

I think your second image - have you seen the light - would benefit from a bit more darkness in the lower tones. I haven't compared the two versions closely, but first impression for me is the looser framing.

Mike

Cem_Usakligil

Cem

Joan of Arc and no HDR - I like it very much. The subdued tones are courageous in the current vernacular, but very beautiful. The solitary enclosure of the walls is moving, reinforcing the aloneness of the figure.

I think your second image - have you seen the light - would benefit from a bit more darkness in the lower tones. I haven't compared the two versions closely, but first impression for me is the looser framing.

Mike
Thanks Mike, my thoughts are along similar lines. I like the Jd'A picture for the reasons you've mentioned.

I have discussed the two versions of the second picture with Bart and he was also of the opinion that the 1st one is better. The 1st version gives a better impression of the height/depth in the picture, therein we are looking up at the Jesus figure who in turn is looking up himself. Also, the tone mapping is less strong in the first one which keeps the darker areas a bit darker compared to the new version. And we see that the figure is on a column and not a wall or anything else. I guess I agree. I will see to a new tone mapped version with more darkness in the lower tones, time permitting.

Cheers,

Well, I should admit that I don't know for 100% sure whether this is Jeanne d'Arc or not. But since the picture was taken in a Catholic church in the Aquitaine region of France, the chances are high that she is indeed her.

Many things shows that it's likely her:
The lily flower on the dress(?) sign that she is "endorsed" by the king of France.
The fact that she's in a catholic church holding a flash where is written "Jesus" if I see well is a sign of joan of arc. She is barely shown with the atribute of more mistic saints such as "Sainte therese de Lisieux" or "Bernadette soubiroux", such as the Orb, or the Ray of light (1 beauty dish, 2 soft lights, Elinchrom :] ). Probably because she was a soldier (retired sheep keeper).

BTW, I am quite certain that Jeanne d'Arc enjoys global fame and not only in Western France. She is an icon of leadership and dedication to one's beliefs, among other virtues.

She is well known in the entire France, since we've been harped her story at school.
Fortunately/unfortunately. The teachers omit to tell us about her male counterpart the terrible Gilles de Rais. Virtues are optional in this case.

Gilles de Rais

Wikipedia

NSFW (you may get sick on your computer screen...)

Charlotte Thompson

Cem

Saint Joan me thinks
this is very nice
I love the colors you have given this little alcove of a Saint, the subdued blues and greens work so well-
looks so very old
do you know the age-
beautiful work

Charlotte-

Cem_Usakligil

Cem

Saint Joan me thinks
this is very nice
I love the colors you have given this little alcove of a Saint, the subdued blues and greens work so well-
looks so very old
do you know the age-
beautiful work

Charlotte-
Thanks Charlotte. The subdued colors were as represented, I have not adjusted them myself. I don't know how old this is, probably anywhere between 100-400 years.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Many things shows that it's likely her:
The lily flower on the dress(?) sign that she is "endorsed" by the king of France.
The fact that she's in a catholic church holding a flash where is written "Jesus" if I see well is a sign of joan of arc. She is barely shown with the atribute of more mistic saints such as "Sainte therese de Lisieux" or "Bernadette soubiroux", such as the Orb, or the Ray of light (1 beauty dish, 2 soft lights, Elinchrom :] ). Probably because she was a soldier (retired sheep keeper).

She is well known in the entire France, since we've been harped her story at school.
Fortunately/unfortunately. The teachers omit to tell us about her male counterpart the terrible Gilles de Rais. Virtues are optional in this case.

Gilles de Rais

Wikipedia

NSFW (you may get sick on your computer screen...)
Hi Sandrine,

Yes there are many clues as to why it might be Jeanne d'Arc as you've pointed out. She indeed holds a flag which says "Jhesus". Thanks for the links/reference to Gilles de Rais. I had heard about him in the past but it was totally purged from my operational memory. While reading the links, it started coming back to me.

Cheers,

Charlotte Thompson

Cem

I am calculating on 400 years old and would make the statue in the early 1600's
is the church still standing or a relic-
I have always been so interested in Joan de Arc-

Charlotte-

Some churches where I used to live are from the early 11th century with defences because it's were the peasants used to hide them attacked (they've been built prior to the castles nearby). Even here in Brighton I'm living near a small church built in the 11th century as well. But it's so tiny and modest and shy...It's amazing.

For what I can observe the church might be 400 years old but the statue isn't. I'd say late 18th /19th century. There was a revival of the worshipping of JofA in the late 19th and early 20th century because of the "missions" (I'm not talking about faraway missions in Africa or Asia, just missions to re-evangelise the country, after the turmoil of the atheist revolution). These missions lasted 'till the 1950's where itinerant preachers where called in different part of the now godless :) country to bring back the word of god (we are talking about Roman Catholics, of course). When Napoleon died and the lines of descent cease to rule, there was a return to the old habits, Church and Kings working together. This lead to a revival of nationalism and old traditions (the fact that there was a war between France and Prussia was just acceleration the process). That were JofA gained a new celebrity as a saint, a virgin, a defender of the French soil and also the way to make poor people hope that they could (even them) participate, as she did.

The only other two remarkable periods were she was in revival were the Vichy government during the German occupation, and somewhere in the middle of the sixties when the extreme right used to use her image as a mascot.

The only persons that, nowadays and apart from the Catholics as a saint, use her name are people from the national front that held a celebration every 1st of May, in Front of the unions parade (for Labour day) in Paris. It's pure hijacking as I don't think she has (and her legacy as well) nothing to do with that.