• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Last of Their Kind

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
On the way back home. From my photo essay Last of Their Kind.

julio-rodrigues.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Rajan,

Excellent, as usual. I also liked the portrait of Jagannath Morajkar very much, why don't you post it here as well?

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

A great picture, like many you show. I'm at lunch at the moment so can't look at the full set, but some background would be helpful in the case of the title you have given.

Mike

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
A great picture, like many you show. I'm at lunch at the moment so can't look at the full set, but some background would be helpful in the case of the title you have given.

Mike

Mike,

These are images of working class Goans that present an appearance that is fast disappearing with the changing times. Their children and grandchildren look nothing like this. So in a sense this is a record of folks of a past era.

Mike Shimwell

Mike,

These are images of working class Goans that present an appearance that is fast disappearing with the changing times. Their children and grandchildren look nothing like this. So in a sense this is a record of folks of a past era.

Ah, this is a story the world over. Have a peek at the Hebridean's thread and see if you can ind any images from Gus Wylie's book. The 'behind story' is similar.

The encroachment of western monoculture is somewhat daunting, even to those of us who grew up in some of its past!

Mike

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Ah, this is a story the world over. Have a peek at the Hebridean's thread and see if you can ind any images from Gus Wylie's book. The 'behind story' is similar.

The encroachment of western monoculture is somewhat daunting, even to those of us who grew up in some of its past!

Mike

Mike,

In this instance I would not lay all the blame on Western monoculture. It is just that times have changed quite dramatically in the last 10-15 years. In Goa at least, we face the danger not of Western, but of Indian encroachment - i.e. migrants from the rest of India virtually wiping out the Goan identity. We are only around 1.5 million surrounded by a sea of 1 billion. You do the math.

Mike Shimwell

Mike,

In this instance I would not lay all the blame on Western monoculture. It is just that times have changed quite dramatically in the last 10-15 years. In Goa at least, we face the danger not of Western, but of Indian encroachment - i.e. migrants from the rest of India virtually wiping out the Goan identity. We are only around 1.5 million surrounded by a sea of 1 billion. You do the math.

Ah, I stand (happily) corrected. Are your concerns about cultural or physical encroachment, or both? Not to lead into a political debate!

mIKE

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Ah, I stand (happily) corrected. Are your concerns about cultural or physical encroachment, or both? Not to lead into a political debate!

mIKE

Mike, the answer is both. Goa was one of the last havens left in India of the good, pleasant life. Now with all the environmental degradation, and the influx of people from outside, it has become crowded and is getting dirtier by the day. Soon it will be indistinguishable from any of the urban swamps of India. This is a much bigger topic and it is political in many ways, and this is a photo forum, so I shall stop here.