• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Physics and the Path of Least Resistance

Enjoyed a walk in the woods this morning.

132133283.jpg

Handrail​

Water dripping from snow melting from the top of this bit of wood took some interesting detours as it obeyed the law of gravity. The wood rail was finished no more than necessary to prevent splinters.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

132133283.jpg

Handrail​

Water dripping from snow melting from the top of this bit of wood took some interesting detours as it obeyed the law of gravity. The wood rail was finished no more than necessary to prevent splinters.

Tom,

You're very observant of the textures of things, reflections and rust and run-offs. You'd have been a great tracker! Maybe that was a property handed down from father to son over eons and you just inherited that proclivity.

Asher

Hi Asher, thank you for commenting. I figured this might be one of those photos destined for zero comments in OPF land. Yep, just call me Jeramiah Robbins. In all modesty, I look a whole lot better stumbling through the snow than Robert Redford ever did in the old movie. But I digress...

132152826.jpg

Snow Fence​

Another simple shot from yesterday. I liked the pattern of the slats and the diffuse sunlight on the snow. The twigs and stuff in the background don't add a thing, but figured since I was too lazy to clone them out, maybe they should remain because they were simply part of the scene. It's amazing how easy it is to rationalize a way around doing extra work sometimes.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher, thank you for commenting. I figured this might be one of those photos destined for zero comments in OPF land. Yep, just call me Jeramiah Robbins. In all modesty, I look a whole lot better stumbling through the snow than Robert Redford ever did in the old movie. But I digress...

132152826.jpg

Snow Fence​

Another simple shot from yesterday. I liked the pattern of the slats and the diffuse sunlight on the snow. The twigs and stuff in the background don't add a thing, but figured since I was too lazy to clone them out, maybe they should remain because they were simply part of the scene. It's amazing how easy it is to rationalize a way around doing extra work sometimes.

Well, Tom, you raise again the point of honesty versus freedom to express the image of the brain rather than the lens. Frankly to my mind, there's just one area where one must be meticulous in honesty and that's as a documenter for medical, scientific, historical, insurance, legal, forensic and news work. Apart from that, be as fictive as your imagination demands. After all the photograph is not reality anyway!

It's distorted by the POV, static nature and so many other factors we all know so well.

I would simply pay the $15 to have a retoucher do the work if I had too much work to do myself. Adding the extra step is worthwhile when it clarifies one's expression of the image one's mind has built.

After all, we only selectively remember anyway!

Asher

Mark Hampton

132133283.jpg

Handrail​

Tom,

in this image I could sleep / dream .... its scale moves with viewing... I like the openness this affords me..

cheers