• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

[UV, VIS] Psychedelic Lilly

Dr Klaus Schmitt

A VIS-UV differential using the EL-Nikkor 5.6/80mm (all shot at f8, ISO400, 1/160s using Xenon flash):

original.jpg

and yes, quite a nice lens with quite good UV transmission and very little focus shift.

Here now using the 5.6/105mm EL-Nikkor

original.jpg

Quite more focus shift, but also quite good UV transmission.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

For comparison here the VIS shot using the EL-Nikkor 5.6/80mm

original.jpg

and using the 5.6/105mm EL-Nikkor

original.jpg

Finally now the UV shot using the EL-Nikkor 5.6/80mm

original.jpg

and using the 5.6/105mm EL-Nikkor

original.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Klaus,

It just occurred to me that the butterflies might be able to discriminate fine graduations properties of light: in UV wavelength, change in intensity, like a first and/or second derivative, and even perhaps polarization. Is there any info on this. After all, you are showing just one color.

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

If you are referring to what I have showed here, then that is not related in any way to butterfly vision, except that it contains two images, the visual and the ultraviolet one, which also a appear in the wavelength band a butterfly can see: UV, Blue, Green, Red (so I don't fully understand what you refer to, when you talk about ".. that I show only one color" - of course as I only show ultraviolet). [Animals have very different aspects in vision, I only show a few in my work, mainly the ability to also see in ultraviolet].

The differential in the first images is a synthetic image that shows the difference between a visual and an ultraviolet image, which I use to determine how good a lens is for UV (also shows focus shift effects etc.). This is not related to animal or human perception (but my simulated bee or butterfly vision images are).

I just like differentials, since they usually are esthetically pleasing and that's why I shared them here. This for instance is a VIS - IR differential, to see how that lens performs in IR:

original.jpg

Mark Hampton

Klaus,

I enjoy drinking these in, thanks for posting them

- they remind me of the images made of space from nasa etc. and help me resolve to look closer at what is around .... your micro world is fascinating... and your interruption also

cheers

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thanks Mark,

glad you like my work. NASA also does multispectral imaging, in much more extended range as I do of course form UV to deep IR.

Cheers,