• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Unusual Wildlife and/or Unusual Locations...

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread showing a variety of wildlife wider than what we normally see, for the visual treat it would offer, as well as providing some educational value (and perhaps ideas on where we might want to travel next, or species we would like to capture). Since many will not have had the opportunity of traveling to far-flung destinations, it would seem reasonable to include exotics that were shot in zoos or other captive situations, indicating this in the description.

As indicated in another thread in this forum, my wife and I had the pleasure of traveling to the Galapagos, touring the various islands for 11 days by boat. Many of the species we encountered were endemic, often found nowhere else in the world, or otherwise unique. Here's a couple to get things started:

Blue-footed Boobie (Sula nebouxii)

1D2_03151.jpg

One of the birds most clearly associated with the Galapagos, this is a fairly common species in the area, feeding entirely on fish. The name is apparently derived from the Spanish bubi, meaning "stupid fellow," referring to their clumsy behavior on land.

Lava Gull (Larus fuliginosus)

1D2_03266.jpg

This is a relatively rare, endemic species, and it is thought that there are only around 400-500 pairs present among the Galapagos Islands. It is considered a "Vulnerable" species because of the relatively low numbers, although the population does appear stable.

Please include just 1 or 2 images per post, hopefully with some useful or otherwise interesting information about the species being shown. I'm looking forward to seeing your images!

Mary Bull

Exotic Wildlife Will Always Get My Attention

So am I looking forward to reading and viewing in this thread!

And Don, I would love to see some more of the wildlife photos from your trip.

The Galapagos Islands, because of the work Charles Darwin did there, have always held a special fascination for me.

Mary

Mary Bull said:
And Don, I would love to see some more of the wildlife photos from your trip.

The Galapagos Islands, because of the work Charles Darwin did there, have always held a special fascination for me.

Mary

The same with my wife, whose education background is in Anthropology, and who has probably read every book about Darwin that has been written!

I have 5 collections of images from this trip, and you can access them all from here:

Galapagos Photos

Best,

No more takers??? Surely there are a few here who have images of some interesting critters.

Here's one more:

Elephant Beetle

1D_02533.jpg

This was taken in Costa Rica, as we were traveling back from the Caribbean coast. There is one home with several trees of a particular species in front, and these very large beetles are all over the place. From tip of their "trunk" to the back of their body, is perhaps 5-6"! When tourists stop by, the children who live there come out to "demonstrate" their little friends.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is an incredible creature! What is the beak for? Is it a sense organ, for display or to fight or stab prey?

BTW, the blue feet of the bird above is something else too! what evolutionary pressure caused that?

Asher

Asher Kelman said:
This is an incredible creature! What is the beak for? Is it a sense organ, for display or to fight or stab prey?

It took a bit of 'googling' and digging, but I found this quote from an academic article:

"Thus far without exception, and independent of their exact shape or location, beetles use their horns as weapons in male combat over access to females"

BTW, the blue feet of the bird above is something else too! what evolutionary pressure caused that?

After similar digging, it seems that most thinking is that the foot-color is involved with mating and courtship rituals, as shown in this quote:

Our results support the idea that female foot colour in the bluefooted booby is favoured by sexual selection through male preference.

Why, then, are there some with red feet, others with blue feet, and still others with greenish feet (the Nazca Boobie, another species in the Galapagos, used to be called the 'green-footed boobie')??? Just the vagaries of the evolutionary process, I suppose.

Asher Kelman

Thanks Don,

So the beetles are really equipped like male dear with the beautifull antlers! Amazing!
I'd be interested to learn if the genes are related!

For the different colors of feet, how close do the birds nest? Do they have any locations specific to separate islands?

Asher

Asher Kelman said:
For the different colors of feet, how close do the birds nest? Do they have any locations specific to separate islands?

From what I've read (and recall from when we were there), they are often seen on many of the same islands, so there is plenty of overlap. The red-footed boobies build nests in bushes/trees, while the Nazca and Blue-footed boobies nest on the ground. A pretty good summary of the biology of the Galapagos Boobies can be found here:

http://www.rit.edu/~rhrsbi/GalapagosPages/Boobies.html

Brian Lowe

These were taken on a recent trip to Costa Rica. I'll be leaving again in December, back to Costa Rica for 8 days can't wait to get there.

Enjoy
-Brian-

Here is a Tiger Heron the photo was taken in Palo Verde - Tempisque River Costa Rica. I think this is a very cool looking bird.

111263396-L-2.jpg

And here we have Howler monkeys, a mother with her baby in the trees over the Tempisque River CR.

66353631-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

Brian,

Great shots. Those howler monkeys are tack sharp. so that must be a great lens wide open? The tree in front is so soft I think I''m drunk, or is it sharp????

Asher

Hi Brian!

Wonderful shots. The Tiger Heron looks different from the ones I've seen down there - is it a juvenile, or just a color variant? Also love the Howlers.

When in December will you be in Costa Rica, and where? I'm leading a group Dec. 1-10, going to Arenal, Monteverde, and then the Jaco Beach area.

Thanks for the post!

Brian Lowe

Don Cohen said:
Hi Brian!

Wonderful shots. The Tiger Heron looks different from the ones I've seen down there - is it a juvenile, or just a color variant? Also love the Howlers.

When in December will you be in Costa Rica, and where? I'm leading a group Dec. 1-10, going to Arenal, Monteverde, and then the Jaco Beach area.

Thanks for the post!

Hi Don,

I believe the Tiger Heron was a juvenile I did see a few others but that one was quite striking. The Howlers were everywhere we went, they even visited the hotel tree one late afternoon for a little snack.

I am leaving Dec. 17 and heading to central pacific this trip, staying in Playa Herradura. I say this trip because I plan on going back again the middle of next year to the Caribbean side of CR.

I will have a car the entire trip and don't mind driving long distances in CR. if you have any must see sites in that part of the country let me know what you recommend. I would love to see some Sloths but I am not sure if they inhabit that part of CR.

-Brian-

Here is a photo of some Howlers that visited the hotel trees.

66385946-L-1.jpg

We'll just be missing you time-wise :(

You can have a look at my site, where I've documented my prior 3 trips to Costa Rica, along with information about where the images were taken. On the last trip, I used a GPS device to precisely track my location, and pinpoint where images were taken. You can access GoogleEarth files to show both the images and locations (links on my site).

I'm also curious as to whether you're traveling on your own, or using a local guide. We have had guides each time, and to me they have made a huge difference in maximizing what we saw. They not only know where to find the various critters we're looking for, but are able to spot them much better than any of us who have been in the groups. I bet we would have missed 75%+ of what we saw without them.

Have a great time, and post images when you get back!

Asher Kelman

Don,

Maybe he needs an M.D. in case he's bitten by a howler! When is your trip to Costa Rica and how many do you take?

Asher

Brian Lowe

Asher Kelman said:
Brian,

Do you just wander on your own, or is this some tour with a guide?

Asher

Asher,

I like to wander and explore on my own with no set plans, just ideas of what I want to do, see, and of course photograph (with a local guide not associated with a larger tour group).

So if one morning I wake up and feel like hiking up a volcano I can. And the next morning I want to head to the river into the jungles I can, or just lay by the pool all day with the iguanas ;-)

Nothing set in stone except relaxation, adventure and some great photo opportunities.

-Brian-

Iguana by the pool
66188800-L-2.jpg

Brian Lowe

Don Cohen said:
We'll just be missing you time-wise :(

You can have a look at my site, where I've documented my prior 3 trips to Costa Rica, along with information about where the images were taken. On the last trip, I used a GPS device to precisely track my location, and pinpoint where images were taken. You can access GoogleEarth files to show both the images and locations (links on my site).

I'm also curious as to whether you're traveling on your own, or using a local guide. We have had guides each time, and to me they have made a huge difference in maximizing what we saw. They not only know where to find the various critters we're looking for, but are able to spot them much better than any of us who have been in the groups. I bet we would have missed 75%+ of what we saw without them.

Have a great time, and post images when you get back!

Don,

Yes I need to get a GPS unit, what do you recommend getting?

A local guide is a must! I would have never seen this on my own (not the best pic) bats under a tree branch on the Rio Tempisque Palo Verde
66207973-L-1.jpg

Brian,

A local guide is a must! I would have never seen this on my own (not the best pic) bats under a tree branch on the Rio Tempisque Palo Verde

Interesting that you used this example. On my first trip, on the canals at Tortuguero, our one-eyed boat driver spotted a number of these bats similarly camouflaged on a tree-trunk, from 100 yards away, and we had trouble seeing them even when we were within 10 feet!

Yes I need to get a GPS unit, what do you recommend getting?

My preference is for one that stores its data internally, has bluetooth connectivity, and is small and lightweight. I opted for the Delorme BlueLogger, and am very satisfied with it. You can program it to record waypoints at your desired frequency (in terms of either time or distance), and it can store up to 50,000 points. I turn it on, clip it to my belt or put it in my pocket, and it tracks my location when I'm out shooting. I download the data to my laptop nightly or every other night.

I wrote on article on using it with photography for the NatureScapes website, and you can read about it here:

http://www.naturescapes.net/092006/dc0906.htm

I also use it with my Palm TX (with TomTom Navigator 5 software) to make a very portable and lightweight GPS system, for use when walking or driving.

There are other approaches and devices (such as "all-in-one" units that have the GPS receiver, display and maps in one device, much larger than the BlueLogger), but this approach works well for my needs.

Asher Kelman said:
Don,

When is your trip to Costa Rica and how many do you take?

I leave Dec. 1st, with a group of 10 (which is the maximum that I take). It's a 10-day trip, similar to the others I've taken down there. My next trip is April 13-22, 2007. Details available by clicking on the link in my signature.

Would love to have some OPF-ers join us!

Asher Kelman

Well Don,

I guess the Dec trip is booked up already! I'd love to see OPF-ers join you! This sounds wonderful!

Asher

Mike Funnell

This one's a Lace Monitor, spotted in Lane Cove National Park in Sydney. They're not that uncommon, but are seldom seen this large:

lace-monitor-1-web1.jpg

...Mike

Mike Funnell

Thats taken with a Canon 30D and 100-400IS zoom. I was walking in the park when a young Chinese couple retreated past me at a huge rate of knots. When I saw what they were running away from I raced back to the car to grab the camera (a long lens seemed more prudent than the little point-and-shoot I had with me).

...Mike

Mike Funnell

They're meat-eaters, taking small animals, tourists (Chinese or otherwise) bird's eggs and (in this one's case) leftovers from picnics in the national park.

...Mike