• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just Some Driftwood!

ovs_opf_XI-152.jpg

ovs_opf_XI-153.jpg

ovs_opf_XI-154.jpg

ovs_opf_XI-156.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

ovs_opf_XI-154.jpg

Georg R. Baumann: Just some driftwood

Georg,

This one is especially fascinating. There are hands grasping in front, perhaps bones, lots of features to wander through.

Asher

Hi,

For whatever reason, Asher was moving my post here. I post everything in the layback cafe usually, as I do not approach fine art photography, I do it, or I don't.

They really are just snaps, hence the title, a five minutes exercise to explore a piece of driftwood with just one lens and without a tripod or proper setup.

Sometimes it is fascinating to see back home what a lens resolves that the eye does not see on the spot, because I was so low on the ground, of course sand particles are swirling around in the breeze, here in a crop at 1/2500 s:

ovs_opf_XI-157.jpg

continued

All pictures here are from the Zeiss 135mm F/1.8, over the past few month, it has turned into my always on lens, probably the best lens I ever owned. In my opinion, over time, using a single lens a lot, you get better with it. The intimate knowledge of a lens needs to become one with you, in your blood, so you do not need to think anymore, just do it. Personally, I take a long time with one lens alone, others are quicker, I am not, but I don't care, I do not do photography for competitive reasons.

ovs_opf_XI-159.jpg

ovs_opf_XI-162.jpg

ovs_opf_XI-161.jpg

ovs_opf_XI-163.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi,

For whatever reason, Asher was moving my post here. I post everything in the layback cafe usually, as I do not approach fine art photography, I do it, or I don't.

They really are just snaps, hence the title, a five minutes exercise to explore a piece of driftwood with just one lens and without a tripod or proper setup.

Sometimes it is fascinating to see back home what a lens resolves that the eye does not see on the spot, because I was so low on the ground, of course sand particles are swirling around in the breeze, here in a crop at 1/2500 s:

ovs_opf_XI-157.jpg

Georg,

This is evocative of both female and male forms. not quite erotic but a vehicle for thought.

Asher

To me it is important to explore a scene, sometimes over a long time, several days or even weeks. While exploring, the scene changes over time of course, sometimes due to weather or other circumstances, sometimes just due to the mood I am in when shooting.

When shooting, I prefer to not think, which requires a certain state of mind to be in. This way, I let the scene guide me, and eventually it opens up the hidden gems.

ovs_opf_XI-165.jpg

I always kept the belief that the statements of the observer will tell me more about the observer than the photograph.

Hi Georg,

While that may be true for a Rorschach test, an image can be suggestive as well ... ;-)

BTW, I'm glad this is now posted in a more appropriate forum. Your studies are way to interesting for the layback cafe. I like the brown/yellow tones of sand and wood, but then I'm a sucker for ton-sur-ton images.

Cheers,
Bart

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Hi,

ovs_opf_XI-157.jpg

Asher saw something erotic, that bottom left however looks like a horses head to me. I'm just innocent and naive apparently :p

Hi Georg,

While that may be true for a Rorschach test, an image can be suggestive as well ... ;-)

BTW, I'm glad this is now posted in a more appropriate forum. Your studies are way to interesting for the layback cafe. I like the brown/yellow tones of sand and wood, but then I'm a sucker for ton-sur-ton images.

Cheers,
Bart

Man, ya'll need to get laid if you start seeing some juicy stuff here.... ;)