• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Terrible picture or lucky accident?

StuartRae

At the end of a walk we came to the Eskdale Green station on the Ravenglass and Eskdale narrow-gauge railway. I was sitting on a bench enjoying a quiet smoke when suddenly a little steam loco appeared round the bend. My previous shot had been a landscape in bright sunlight, so the camera was set at F16 and ISO 100, but the station was in the shadow of some trees. I tried to pan with the train as it went past, but the shutter speed was down to 1/8 second, which made it a hopeless attempt.

When I downloaded the files into RSP my mouse hovered over the delete button, but then I began to wonder ....... there was just something about the picture that appealed to me. What do you think?

Has anyone else got shots that were lucky accidents?

Loco.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I love the picture. I can hear the train whistle. It has such a painterly look.

This would be great for a children's book.

Asher

Mary Bull

Speeding Train, A Feast for Eye and Ear

The colors are wonderful in this image, and the way the eye is drawn to the top of the locomotive cab.

I am sitting on the bench beside you, hearing the thunder of the driving wheels on the rails and enjoying the descending pitch of the whistle as the train flies past me . The gradual blurring that progresses to the left and to the right of the locomotive cab absolutely cries out, Speed.

A great lucky accident, Stuart!

Mary

Keep it.

It's a miniature, judging from the size of the driver relative to the cab. I'm delighted to see that in this picture it seems to be barreling along at over 60 mph! See if the group that runs this train wants to use it on their calendar.

scott

StuartRae

It's a miniature, judging from the size of the driver relative to the cab

The railway is 15" gauge, built in 1915 to carry passengers and iron ore, and replacing the original 3' track. The loco is the River Esk (2-8-2) built in 1923.

Stuart