• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Abandoned Ireland

Martin Evans

I have come across a fascinating web-site: www.abandonedireland.com, set up by Tarquin Blake. He has assembled a very large collection of photographs showing grand but derelict houses, ruined castles, old barracks and 18th to 19th century fortifications abandoned to the elements. Almost all are in the Republic of Ireland.

What is of particular interest to this forum is his extensive use of 360 degree panoramas of the interiors of many of these derelict buildings. He has told me that he uses a 'fisheye' lens with a panoramic tripod head and photo-stitches the images into a complete record of an interior. The results are often very striking.

Martin

Valentin Arfire

hi Martin,
Thanks for sharing this link
I too believe the "waste" of the history in decay is something very interesting and unique; soon enough there will be something new, probably different to the more or less shining past.
On the other hand on more than one occasion I had to run like a burgler because somebody called for the police and the explanations might become unpleasant - so what's to be done when the ruins are on private held property and one cannot get any approval to take pictures?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I must say I was sickened by seeing nothing but ruin. The taxation system for large estates makes no sense if it causes abandonment. Why these buildings were not repurposed is the big question.

The photography is still interesting but for me, just the first two locations were already too much for one morning. I'll revisit later. I guess I like beauty and life too much

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I found that website fascinating, not only for the content which must be an incredible historical and geographical resource but also the concept.