• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A friend Brandon

He's a first try at PP with capture nx2 free trial....

5586112927_6b0f774eda_b.jpg

d90
nikon 85mm f1.4d
1/200
f4
Iso800
natural light​

thanks for looking and sharing

Paul Abbott

I would like to see some better lighting in the shot, it's quite flat and directionless. The composition of his face in the frame could be better too, along with a contrasting background.

I took the liberty here with a crop...

5586112927_6b0f774eda_bcropped.jpg

Thank you for your advice. This was a 100% snapshot a BBQ yesterday. I would like to add I had a few shots of hennessy and a few beers on me!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
He's a first try at PP with capture nx2 free trial....

5586112927_6b0f774eda_b.jpg

d90
nikon 85mm f1.4d
1/200
f4
Iso800
natural light​

thanks for looking and sharing

Jake,

Glad to see you using this software. The test is to prepare it as you did until now and see them together. Dd you do any local adjustments or sharpening with NX2?

Paul,

Your crop works with there being zero b.g. but the loss of the spiked hair "architectural" features removes an important aspect of the character.

Asher

i'm having 1 serious issue with capture nx2 so far. I'm not sure how to keep the original NEF files. What I do is create two folders, a "edited raw" folder and a "final jpeg" folder. I'm under the impression that, in order to convert raw files with capture nx2, i need to batch process them.

So I put the edited raw files into a folder and batch process this folder with the final destination being the "final jpeg" folder. But now the originals are gone? Maybe i made the mistake of moving the raw files folder instead of to copy them to the folder. Right now(with view nx2) I'm used to just selecting all the files I want to convert, clicking start, and having all converted files go into a new sub-folder with all originals intact. i must first figure out how to do this with capture nx2 so I don't lose the original file. Luckily the 10 pictures I've edited with capture are just some random snaps that are held close to heart.

Asher Kelman

In most software, the RAW files are not touched! Search on your computer for the original files. Also, never make the result of your NX2 or other photography processing anything but a Tiff* file. . I would really be surprised if NX2 discarded the original Nikon RAW file. Processing into .jpg should only be for delivery where that tiny file 8 BIT file is specified, as on the internet, posting here, for example.

Always work in 16 BIT Adobe RGB or better, Profoto RGB, which guards all the great data your camera collected), so as to maintain options in the future for making even better prints as software and hardware improves! sRGB 8 BIT have only 3% of your data!

I don't have Nikon files handy to test for you. So copy a set of Nikon RAW files and practice with the copies.

Asher

* RAW and .psd are subsets of Tif and in some MF camera software, .TIFF is the name of the RAW file as distinguished from .tiff

So i can change my camera to record in 16 bit. Thought d90 record in 8 or 12. But I will change e color space to adobe rgb.

As far as losing the raw files I'll search but for now I will just copy the files to a folder to work from.

Thanks for the help, very much. I appreciate this forum a lot.

Asher Kelman

So i can change my camera to record in 16 bit. Thought d90 record in 8 or 12. But I will change e color space to adobe rgb.

As far as losing the raw files I'll search but for now I will just copy the files to a folder to work from.

Thanks for the help, very much. I appreciate this forum a lot.

The payback for us is in the pictures you share! B&W is a very noble part of photography and am so glad it's something you naturally seem to like too!

Asher