• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Chicken nodal soup

Doug Kerr

Recent traffic in these esteemed pages suggests that it is time for the monthly delivery of the Annual Nodal Point Lecture.

A lens has two nodal points, normally on the lens axis. (In the fictional "thin lens" these two are at the same place, but not otherwise).

These have an important significance in geometric optics.

In the situation of common interest to us (where the object and image spaces are in the same medium, namely air), these coincide with the two principal points of the lens. These also have an important, but different, significance in geometric optics.

In connection with multi-shot panoramic photography, in which the entire camera is rotated between successive shots, we become interested in the matter of a location for the pivot axis (axes). The objective is usually for the camera to pivot about its point of perspective. The motive is to avoid parallax shift between the shots, which can make for paradoxical stitching between the shots.

It is often said that the appropriate pivot axis "passes through the nodal point of the lens". We should immediately be suspicious, since there are two nodal points. In any case, this is just plain not true.

In fact, the point of perspective of a lens will only by accident fall at either nodal point.

Where it does consistently fall is at the center of the entrance pupil. This is defined as the virtual image, from in front of the lens, of the aperture stop. It is in effect the "port" through which the lens accepts light. It is however not (except in some special places) a physical thing.

Often I hear that, "Well, the nodal point [which one] must be the proper location for the pivot axis. I use the well-known test to find the nodal point, and then when I use that location for my pivot axis, I have the proper result."

The joke here is that this "well-known test" is in fact not the test to find [either] nodal point, but rather to find the point of perspective (and thus the location of the entrance pupil).

So people often do the right thing, but describe it inaccurately. It's like the guy who really needs to know the circumference of a tree, but in error tells the field worker to find the diameter, which he thinks he can find by wrapping a tape measure around it.

Further helping this confusion is that the actual test to find the (second) nodal point sounds a little bit like this test, in that it involves rotating something while watching for some result in the image.

A further basis for the confusion comes from the matter of the revolving-lens continuous panoramic camera (in which the film is held in a curved track, the center of whose curvature is the pivot axis for the revolving lens and its associated aperture slit) . Two separate criteria suggest conflicting locations for the pivot axis:

• Consideration of the matter of parallax shift suggest rotation about the entrance pupil.

• Consideration of the matter of "smearing" of the image on the film suggest rotation about the second principal point (and thus about the second nodal point).

Various clever lens designs have been devised to reconcile these two conflicting matters (some very problematical to implement), but in practice the "smearing" issue wins, meaning that the lens/slit assembly is rotated about an axis through the second principal point of the lens. The very small lateral field of view (at any given instant) makes the impact of parallax shift relatively minor.

One nice thing about our actual interest being in the location of the entrance pupil is that this can often be determined by visual inspection. We look into the lens from the front (perhaps needing to have the aperture stopped down so we can easily identify what looks like the aperture stop).

What looks to us to be the aperture stop is (in diameter and longitudinal position) the entrance pupil - by definition. If we can estimate its axial location, that's the place we need to put our pivot axis.

Those who have not been paying attention might say, "But, but, we don't see the aperture stop where it really is, owing to the effect of the lens elements in front of it." Right. And we are not interested in the location of the aperture stop. We are interested in what and where it appears to be - which is, by definition, the entrance pupil.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

Using a small lamp to shine through the viewfinder of a slr is a bit help in the determination of the position of the entrance pupil.

Alain Briot

pro member
You could go further with 'Chicken nodal soup for the soul' or perhaps 'Chicken nodal soup for the sensor'!

Jim Galli

You've probably already explained this, but why is it with an antique Cirkut camera the aperture is WAY out in front of the rotation point.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Have to admit that I find life too short for being a pedant, especially when a term, however wrongly, has entered into common usage. You cannot buy an 'entrance pupil slide' for example. I have discovered however that writing 'NPP' is shorter than 'nodal point' anyway...

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jim,

You've probably already explained this, but why is it with an antique Cirkut camera the aperture is WAY out in front of the rotation point.
In a Cirkut camera the slit (which, being at nearly the focal plane, becomes a field stop) gives the camera (at any instant in time) a very small lateral field of view. The result is that the "parallax shift" phenomenon is of no real consequence.

That having been recognized, it is then perfectly practical to put the pivot axis at any convenient location (especially considering the gearing involved), such as essentially at the rear of the bed.

If, for some reason we insisted anyway on putting the pivot under the entrance pupil, which is approximately at the front standard, we would then have to arrange for it to move when we mounted lenses of different focal length, calling for a different bellows position at zero extension. And of course the gearing would have to cope with that. And there would be no profit in that.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Its all very well to say that we should have no qualms about calling "bison" "buffalo", since that is in such common use.

But it can cause a bit of a problem if we wish to speak of a buffalo.

There is also a common thought that the (first) nodal point of a lens and the entrance pupil are typically close together, so distinguishing them is not of any real technical consequence.

This figure (taken from Rik Littlefield's excellent paper, "Theory of the 'No-Parallax' Point in Panorama Photography"), show that this is sometime far from the fact:

Nodal_point-Entrance_pupil_01.gif

Rik's paper itself is available here:

http://www.janrik.net/PanoPostings/NoParallaxPoint/TheoryOfTheNoParallaxPoint.pdf

I note that a pedant is a person who "pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules. (emphasis mine).

If you've ever ordered a buffalo, expecting to receive a bison, but having received a buffalo, you may get a new appreciation of what "undue attention" means.

Finally I note that if one has acquired a "nodal slide", one can quite well use it to set the pivot point at either nodal point of the lens, or at the focal plane of the body, or at the plane of the body serial number, or even at the entrance pupil of the lens, depending on what one is interested in doing. And they make nice doorstops as well.

Best regards,

Doug