• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Years since a photojournalistic attempt

Jean Henderson

The Taylor Court Community Garden held its first planting session on Earth Day, April 22. The harvest of the garden will feed the gardeners, neighbors and the local soup kitchen this year. I went down with my camera to check it out with the idea of posting the results on my church's Facebook page. It was a nice overcast day which meant I had no worries about shadows and the colors would be good. A community effort in the best sense of the word, the garden brings together kids, new gardeners and older ones to teach the newcomers. I selected 5 images to tell the story.

_MG_3661-1.jpg

_MG_3673.jpg

_MG_3632.jpg

_MG_3684.jpg

This is the first time in MANY years that I have attempted a photojournalistic "assignment." Your C&C would be most welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Jean

Jerome Marot

The pictures are good, but for a photojournalist attempt I think that one or two more general views of the garden would help. I would need a bit more overview of the general concept of the garden.

Mark Hampton

The pictures are good, but for a photojournalist attempt I think that one or two more general views of the garden would help. I would need a bit more overview of the general concept of the garden.

Jean,

I would agree with Jerome on this - A wide image will give a context for the more intimate images. I really like the rhythm of the images.

Cheers

Jean Henderson

Thanks so much Jerome and Mark -- of course, how forgetful of me not to include the overview! I know why I didn't initially, though. One guy was raking outside the fence and it threw me off because I didn't like what I saw. But I could have done an establishing shot from inside the fence -- or even a close up of the community garden sign to go along with the other more intimate shots.

Jean

fahim mohammed

Hello Jean,

I too would go for a wide opening frame to give context. The colors are good.

But here's what bothers me. It does not seem to be a fun event.!!

More like Agatha Christie's English garden in the middle of England where a foreigner would have everyone whispering to each other in hushed tones! Raised eyebrows. Elderly matrons, pruning roses.

Jean, these are kids, teachers, community workers. We too had the Earth day here. My grandson and grand daighter attended. It was fun. The kids were covered with mud and soil.

Go for the expressions. Laughs. The enthusiasm that shall nurture this Earth of ours for the future.

Thanks for sharing this attempt with us.

fahim mohammed

My post here has neither been responded to since April 26th, 2011; nor any new post added.

I shall presume the OP is busy or otherwise occupied.

Regards.