• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Resizing

Hi guys
Hi would like to know if any of you knows a software that is able to resize a batch of photos with a maximum in mind
eg:
I want to resize the images in a folder to 2000px either height or width IF ONLY it exceeds 2000px. This folder contains small and big images.
I know a batch function in Photoshop that is called "fit to size" (also on "save for web") but it will stretch smaller images to 2000px, I don't want the smaller images to be changed, I only want the bigger size to be constrained to 2000px, if required, and keep the proportions intact.

And another question: Why this bloody ;"£)(?@ windows explorer keeps on telling me that my images are 96dpi even if they've been changed into 72dpi by "image size" (it's been worrying me for a long time, it does happen to any resolution below 96dpi)

Cheers,

For the resize part, I can still do it by hand, it's not a massive issue....

Doug Kerr

Hi, Sandrine,

And another question: Why this bloody ;"£)(?@ windows explorer keeps on telling me that my images are 96dpi even if they've been changed into 72dpi by "image size" (it's been worrying me for a long time, it does happen to any resolution below 96dpi)

One possibility is that there are two places in an Exif JPEG file that carry the resolution indicator, one in the "JPEG header" and one in the Exif metadata. They do not necessarily agree.

Some programs read one and some the other.

For example, my normal image viewer, VuePrint, reads the "old" one. If there is none, it states "72".

That's not likely the problem in tbs case, but I just thought I would mention it.

By the way, how do you make a Windows Explorer file window show the resolution indicator?

Best regards,

Doug

Hi guys
Hi would like to know if any of you knows a software that is able to resize a batch of photos with a maximum in mind
eg:
I want to resize the images in a folder to 2000px either height or width IF ONLY it exceeds 2000px. This folder contains small and big images.
I know a batch function in Photoshop that is called "fit to size" (also on "save for web") but it will stretch smaller images to 2000px, I don't want the smaller images to be changed, I only want the bigger size to be constrained to 2000px, if required, and keep the proportions intact.
When you export in Lightroom, you can resize to 2000x2000 and there is also a checkbox [Don't enlarge].

Regards,
Murray

Hi guys
eg:

Hi Sandrine,

When you don't have other software offering such a feature, you could consider using ImageMagick. It's not very user friendly in the sense that it's a commandline application (you type commands in a commandline interface and the command is executed). You can also make a batch file for a recurring task, and just call that from the commandline or via a "Send to". Technical stuff.

The minimum probably defaults to you display settings in Windows, which usually is 96DPI, and would represent a 100% zoom setting. PPI settings usually only matter when outputting the image to a printer.

Cheers,
Bart

Hello all, and thank you.

I'll have a go at imagemagik someday, I'm not used to command line, but my better half is a an assembler coder and I saw him use his softwares this way that I'm not scared anymore...

As for Lightroom, I don't have it, but when my purse will be better I might consider this option as there is a lot I can do (and I'll have to keep on learning as well!) with it, and there is sometimes some jobs in retouching specifically for Lightroom (I suppose the photographers want to keep their workflow)

Concerning the dpi, I was more or less convinced by this explanation myself, and I trusted Photoshop on this one... I just needed a convenient explanation because someday, I don't doubt it, one customer will moan about the fact that his/her images are not at the right dpi for web viewing. :) (nonsense, I know)

To display the resolution in windows explorer, go to the files you want to be displayed. In the right panel where the names and sizes are displayed choose "details" in the drop down menu, point with your mouse to a column, right click and choose "more", and then choose either "vertical" or "horizontal resolution"... And there is a lot more to choose from. (I've got the size in pixels, resolution, dates and tags displayed usually, but I've never figured out how to retain this configuration for all the folders, so I have to do it again for each new folder I create)

there a CAPTURE:

explorer.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Sandrine,

To display the resolution in windows explorer, go to the files you want to be displayed. In the right panel where the names and sizes are displayed choose "details" in the drop down menu, point with your mouse to a column, right click and choose "more", and then choose either "vertical" or "horizontal resolution"
Yes, I had tried that, but I am using Windows XP Pro, and those items are apparently not available there in the list of items. (I can see those values in the Properties window, Summary tab, for a specific file. The Summary tab display must be set to Advanced.)

but I've never figured out how to retain this configuration for all the folders, so I have to do it again for each new folder I create

With a Windows Explorer file window open, choose Tools>Folder Options, go to the View tab, and click on the button Apply to All Folders.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug