• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Colour monochromes

Let's emphasize the textures, the patterns, in colour but with a limited range....

champ-de-bl-02062004-.jpg

Have fun!

PS: Please tell me if the sharpening causes a problem of banding, or moiré for you for this photo (because of the downsizing)

Jerome Marot

Does color monochrome mean "just one color" or "in color, but the colors are so subdued that it looks B&W"?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

Does color monochrome mean "just one color" or "in color, but the colors are so subdued that it looks B&W"?
And in fact if the image had only one color, it would be wholly featureless. And "black and white" images have many colors.

So one of the possibilities might be "only one chromaticity", or maybe, "only one hue".

We use "color" in so many ways!

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

Why should they be that much different? For example, this one is not quite the same as the previous one I posted... ;)

James Cook

Hi James,

Nice shot.
Can I hazard a guess as to the creatures who left the tracks?

Australian raven, Silver gull, Home sapiens and Quad bike.

If it wasn't taken in Australia, I'd still bet the bird tracks are raven and gull.

Thanks. The shot was taken at Oval Beach in my somewhat new hometown of Saugatuck, Michigan. We have wonderfully fine sands on this side of Lake Michigan and, due to the fresh water atmosphere, incredibly clear horizontal light at or near sunset.

My slate had been reset by rain, then walked upon by a gull and possibly a toe dragging raven, besides shoed and un-shoed homo sapiens before a Quad bike (ATV) rolled over it all.

Actually I believe the gull was the last one through.

This is one of those images that keeps you busy endlessly trying to find just the right cropping so nothing critical - or fun - is omitted and nothing distracting is breaking the frame.

There is significant conflict about development of an adjacent dunes area and the image has been used more than once to illustrate stories and articles about it. Thus the double entendre title: Conflicts of Interest.

James Cook

Here's a monochromatic shot of Lake Michigan in January. Throughout the winter sizeable mounds of ice and snow accumulate across the surface of the Lake.

frozen.jpg

The Frozen Surface of Lake Michigan​

when does green stop and yellow begin -

linky !!!

follow the above link ..... answers on a postcard !

Hi mark, thank you for sharing.
I think the article is beyond my understanding :)
To explain the image:
This is a montage (I'd steal the word "overlay" from Charlotte), where a motion blurred image of a bamboo bush have been mounted on top of a self portrait with the use of blending modes and "blend if" operations.

I suppose this image will stay as is, for the web, since it's merely impossible to have a proper "green arrangement" suitable for printing. (my "gamut warning" view glitters like an ABBA stage costume).

Jerome Marot

It is similar indeed. Still, I wonder why nobody likes crabs. I do, in color monochrome rather than in tins (cans for the US readers).

I remember fishing crabs as a kid, with an old string and a crushed mussel (very caveman...)

I find them a bit scary, nothing serious.... like spiders, but hey! I am not the only one in this thread :)