• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just sharing a few recent photos.

DSC_0441.jpg

stalk-2.jpg

sunflower_.jpg

Comments of any sort welcome. Just felt like sharing a few things. Wanted to hear any input.
Thanks

And, if I'm in the wrong forum or anything please say so. Sorry in advance if I'm in forum error, or some other rudeness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

stalk-2.jpg

Scott,

It seems as if you are leaning towards macro photographs? I do like the attempt to get light through the leaves sometimes or to discover a unique angle. It's a good idea, to work on that and then present several of that type together, so they fit and have much in common, yet are different to provide continued interest to follow your creativity.

I picked this images as it's unusual and discovers micro detail we'd otherwise miss.

Asher

Thanks for the comment Asher. I do indeed lean toward Macro. Some of what you're responding to is just a result of only having the kit lens to work with. Having only that tool, I tend toward whatever makes me go "Hey wow, dig on that", that often results in what you see. I need another lens! Oh well, just wanted to share and get some feedback on a couple things I thought turned out well. Thanks again.
Anyone else? Be just as brutal as you choose. Believe me I'm not a wilting flower. I've been doing the art thing and Crits for a LONG time...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Scott,

Here I like the angle you choose. It allows the leaves to be trans-illuminated bringing out different detail. I would look at the sky again. If you have a copy in RAW and even with a JPG, see if you can recover the detail in the clouds, as otherwise, the sky is distracting.

Asher

I think i agree, but I'm not sure if I can do the needful. I have it RAW, but I'm not sure I'm familiar with the software enough to reprocess it better. Maybe I'll try anyway.
OTOH my painter side says it works compositionally. Raw canvas isn't always a bad thing...

But, I take the advice given, its why I posted after all. Thanks again.

fahim mohammed

Scott, I am enjoying these. I am not into macro, but really like macro work.

I have found that shooting against the sky allows one to make the sky a bg, like in your image of the leaves.

I would try to select the leaves ( easy in this instance..use the mag-lasso ) and make the inverted bg
white/black or whatever..

Just a thought!!

Thank you for sharing.

Mike Shimwell

The last one, looking up at the sky is the strongest to me. The first two are fine, but I don't know what you will do with them. Why did you take them - there is usually a reason of course.

The third has a nice graphic structure, a climb towards the light and lovely natural curves. The whole image is full of light and is undemanding but attractive. Here, the burnt clouds don't really bother me. The image actually looks very commercial - an advertising image for say healthy margerine.

Mike

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Why I took them? Basic learning. I'm new to photography but not visual art. I just try to take photos of stuff I like. I'm not making a statement or anything. I have no end goal other than learning a bit more about my camera.
I am trying to break away from the nature pictures. I like them, but they've become repetitive. I'm looking for some more industrial subjects. God knows there are enough here in town.

I haven't been here much, and I haven't been shooting much either. Time constraints. I've been doing a lot of rehab work to the house (here's some if you're curious, http://kingofthemolepeople.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/how-i-spent-my-summer-vacation/ shot w a cell camera, so...)
I'd be a bit more active in commenting, but being new to photography, I don't want to clutter up the forums w uneducated comments. I could offer something in the way of composition of shots, but anything more technical I wouldn't have anything of value really.
I have seen some amazing work in here, and my input would be less than informative to others I think.

I intend to TRY to make it here a bit more in the near future if I can, the house still needs work tho.

Thanks again for the comments.

I do love my camera, and shooting is a lot of fun.
And, I don't have much in the way of software, so most post is kind of beyond my means. That just means I have to work harder to get it right in camera. I think it's a little better to learn that way anyway.

Sometimes things boil in the subconscious for a bit, then bubble up.
"Why did you take them - there is usually a reason of course."

I realized the other day, that I posted these images in the wrong forum. They weren't intended as Fine Art, and shouldn't have been posted to this forum. They're fine images, but there was never any real intent, or organized thought process behind what they mean. They're just pictures.

Thanks to everyone.
And I do still intend to visit OPF more in the future. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Also; these were pushed around a bit with the native Nikon software. I didn't want to come off as if I didn't do anything. I certainly have no problems with the use of SW, I am not of the Anti-Post school of thought.