• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Riding the Wave

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Every thing here is remarkable, Michael.

The insect does indeed seem to be riding a huge, wave, the blue color is amazing for a snap dragon-like flower, and the macro picture allows us to see fine detailed hairs on the petals .

Great job! How did you set this up?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Ruben - thanks! I had to smile when I looked at the result after taking the picture.

Asher - thanks!

The set-up was simple:
The picture was taken outside with ambient light (cloudy sky).
No tripod involved (I do most of my macros without tripod).

I use a manual focus macro lens (well, the PK-A version of the pictured one) and I usually preset the magnification and focus by adjusting the distance. For this photo settings were f 5.0, 1/200s at ISO 640, full Exif data is here.

Best regards,
Michael

Charlotte Thompson

Michael
So I see the reason behind interest in Flower Children- Macro and flowers including insects- Interesting work macro is if done correctly -though depends a lot on the lens I understand-
Ocean Blue and the Ride- very nice macro work-
I enjoy looking at this- it seems calm as if the insect was in another world/galaxy without humans just surfing the water!

Charlotte-

Michael Nagel

Charlotte,

The flower macro was more coincidental, flowers represent a small part of my photos, I do not specialize (yet?).
What attracted me, was the fact that this kind of work is totally different to what I did (and to most I saw). I see it as an occasion to learn to see in a different way, thanks for that.

For macro - the lens is a tool like the camera attached to it. Among the currently available (new) macro lenses for DSLR there are no really bad ones I am aware of.

Glad you like this one - I see it as a fun macro as it adds a different view to the natural environment.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

I know of no snap dragon relatives of this color, so what is the identity of the flower?

Asher