• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Still that screens comparisons (Eizo Vs Eizo)

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
When I visited Asher K 2 weeks ago, I, of course, had a glance on his well known Eizo flat screen and… I promised myself to go for one too.

Now, checking the references and price at B&H I see 2 different models that would fit quite well!
But I can't see why there are more than €$ 1,000 difference of price.
Some features looks better on the ColorEdge CE240W - except the horizontal frequency, it is the cheapest.

What am I missing there?

Would both of them be compliant with my 2x2.3 Ghz G5 running Mac OS X 10.4.8 and ATI Radeon 9600 XT video card

Thanks for your help and comments.

[EDIT] Of course I would calibrate it with EyeOne Display 2

Below are some infos got from an online store:

Eizo ColorEdge CE240W = $ 1,698.95
Brightness 450 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 1000:1
Viewing Angle 178° horizontal, 178° vertical

Response Time 8 ms

Frequency Digital Horizontal: 31-76 kHz is this the real reason and is this a real problem?

No pivot (which I really don't care)

No*Monitor Hood but I can buy a Hoodman
E-1323 Anti-Glare Protection Hood for $ 49.95

---------

Eizo ColorEdge CG210 = $ 2,798.50
Brightness 250 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 550:1
Viewing Angle 170° horizontal, 170° vertical

Response Time 30 ms

Frequency Digital Horizontal: 31-100 kHz

•*Monitor Hood
•*Adjustment Certificate

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nicolas,

One is said to be paying for an adjustment curve burnt into a chip related to the LUT tables stored in the monitor. Now if you don't use the Eizo software, I'm not sure one actually benefits from that. However, that was the answer I got.

For sure, the CG 210 screen is wonderful, but the measurements apply to the center of the screen. don't color correct on any LCD monitr based on the the edges!

Asher

nicolas claris

Thanks to Ray, here are the Eizo marketing arguments:

The CG221 reproduces the Adobe RGB color space and incorporates a newly developed integrated circuit to produce uniform color and brightness from corner to corner.
• Brightness and color uniformity from corner-to-corner with EIZO's latest ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit).
• 16-bit internal processing for grayscale rendering that is on a par with high-end CRT monitors.
• Monitor hood with sliding top cover and screen cleaner kit are bundled with the monitor.
Adobe RGB Coverage
The CG221 has an expanded color space that reproduces Adobe RGB, meaning it not only covers the sRGB color space supported by many standard monitors, but also CMYK color spaces used for printing.

But is far too expensive for me…

The CG211 offers 12-bit hardware calibration and uniform brightness and color across the screen
As a ColorEdge Premium Edition model, the CG211 offers the following benefits.
• Brightness and color uniformity from corner-to-corner with EIZO's latest ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit).
• 16-bit internal processing for grayscale rendering that is on a par with high-end CRT monitors.
• ...offers 12-bit hardware calibration when used with a GretagMacbeth, X-Rite, or ColorVision measurement device.

I can afford this one

I had like that 24 inches, but obviously it is not as "accurate" as the CG series.
Eizo provides a bunch of info on their site (see Ray's post above with link) but why can't they provide a spreadsheet with all features to compare? It's really the hell to make one's decision…

And, yes Tim, some video cards seem to be compatible, for Mac see there: http://www.eizo.com/support/compatibility/graphics/36.asp

Asher; they claim that Brightness and Color Uniformity with 12-Bit LUT

Achieving uniform levels of brightness and color across the screen has been all but impossible with LCD monitors. To correct this problem, EIZO has developed an ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit) and incorporated it into the ColorEdge CG211.This ASIC has a 12-bit look-up table (LUT) with an extensive palette of 4,081 grayscale tones for each R, G, and B, and internal calculation accuracy of 16-bits (64 times more accurate than 10-bit internal calculation). (more there: http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/cg211/features.asp#uniformity)

Any other comments?

Ray West

Hi Nicolas,

I guess you've poked around on the eizo site. They have a comparison chart. Very cleverly designed to make them all look the same. I've supplied/used the bottom end of eizo stuff some years ago, iirc, no problems with the build quality. I know you are fussy about such things, but I'm not sure if some other brand would do what you want. But then, I guess if it sells you another 1/8th of an image, you're in profit ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray

nicolas claris

Ray West said:
Hi Nicolas,

I guess you've poked around on the eizo site. They have a comparison chart. Very cleverly designed to make them all look the same. I've supplied/used the bottom end of eizo stuff some years ago, iirc, no problems with the build quality. I know you are fussy about such things, but I'm not sure if some other brand would do what you want. But then, I guess if it sells you another 1/8th of an image, you're in profit ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray
Absolutely, a year ago I bought a 2180UX NEC, not a bad screen, but not as accurate as I need. This is why I'm on the Eizo side now, I wish I could afford the Adobe rgb one, but they cost the double!
Arg!

Anybody around there that have done a real comparison between CG221 (or CG220) and CG211 (or CG210)?