• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pano of Antwerp Harbour from the MAS building

Cem_Usakligil

Here is a pano of Antwerp Harbour (looking North) taken from the roof of the MAS building. It is a single row pano, made from 21 tiles taken in portrait stand, handheld (30,000x5,500 pixels). Click on the image to see a larger version for the details. To the left on the horizon, you can see the twin cooling towers of the nuclear power plant of Doel.

fahim mohammed

Lovely panaromin view Cem.

The subject ( industrial complex, concrete buildings ) are something I try to run away from!!

Regards.

Cem_Usakligil

Zoomify version

I have created a zoomify version which displays details at near 100% zoom level.
It can be found here, if you want to take a look at what really is going on. :)

Cem_Usakligil

Oops: wrong color profile!

Hi folks,

I have created a zoomify version which displays details at near 100% zoom level.
It can be found here, if you want to take a look at what really is going on. :)
This goes to show that even the ones with extensive color management experience such as myself can make this silly mistake every now and then. I have forgotten to convert the profile from ProPhoto to sRGB before submitting the image to zoomify for tiling. So the resulting colors were quite wrong. I have now uploaded a color corrected version. If you've already looked, please glimpse again at your convenience. :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

I was already impressed at the fact that, whatever the sky color really was, it is well maintained over this giant expanse, from one end to the other! Often there's a color shift.

As far as the industrial nature of the panorama, that is indeed the truth and not what Fahim, our wonderful wanderer, (who brings us the humanity and beauty of exotic places) prefers to photograph. This port is part of the working machinery of Europe.

Now, if one wants to be more romantic, the top left, shown much larger, is so much more impressive as an emotive, less industrial scene. Yes, that's paradoxical, as the towers of the nuclear power station and the forms of the cranes become so much more obvious. but, these very things become beings, and so life gets to replace industry by a kind of anthropomorphic-creature filter in our perception.

Asher

It took me a while to find some people but there are actually quite a few there.

Do you have a preference for Zoomify over Zoom.It or is it just what you use? You seem to get better sharpness at maximum resolution than I get out of Zoom.It which seems to expand to more than 100%. Perhaps I should compress the images by 50% before generating them.

On the other hand, Zoom.It is much faster than Zoomify and easier to navigate.

It's like a Blowup image - you just need to find a crime scene within it.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Murray,

It took me a while to find some people but there are actually quite a few there.

Do you have a preference for Zoomify over Zoom.It or is it just what you use? You seem to get better sharpness at maximum resolution than I get out of Zoom.It which seems to expand to more than 100%. Perhaps I should compress the images by 50% before generating them.

On the other hand, Zoom.It is much faster than Zoomify and easier to navigate.

It's like a Blowup image - you just need to find a crime scene within it.
To be honest, I just didn't do this with any of my panos before. This is the first time I wanted to show the pano details and Zoomify was the only tool which I was aware of. I did not know the existence of zoom.it. Now that I have taken a look at the zoom.it website, it seems that you have to "surrender" (i.e. submit) your image to them and they host it. Whereas the zoomify image resides within my own website and it is under my own control. I would never use a third party web site to share my images in a manner like that no matter what their EULA says. I am aware of the downside of zoomify, namely the flash component. But in this case it is the lesser evil imo, lol.

Asher Kelman

I would never use a third party web site to share my images in a manner like that no matter what their EULA says. I am aware of the downside of zoomify, namely the flash component. But in this case it is the lesser evil imo, lol.
Cem,

Is there another way we can handle large images and host them with very efficient compression. Is that the issue?

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Cem

What I always like about these images is the level of micro detail that you find as you in ever closer. This works in print too - if you can print at the highest printer resolution the images can be wonderful and draw you in.

I am happy with the unvarnished truth, though I suspect there is some tone mapping going on!

Mike

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

Is there another way we can handle large images and host them with very efficient compression. Is that the issue?

Asher
No, it is not that. Many social network sites or sites offering free hosting of images have some small letters in their terms of service which gives them the rights to use or sell your pictures as they see fit. That is why I never upload my pictures onto any web sites but my own.

Cem_Usakligil

Cem

What I always like about these images is the level of micro detail that you find as you in ever closer. This works in print too - if you can print at the highest printer resolution the images can be wonderful and draw you in.

I am happy with the unvarnished truth, though I suspect there is some tone mapping going on!

Mike
Thanks Mike. Details are very nice to get drawn into. I have my Rotterdam pano printed large hanging on my wall, it remains captivating after many years. This was taken in dull weather, it was only logical to apply some tone mapping. :)

Asher Kelman

No, it is not that. Many social network sites or sites offering free hosting of images have some small letters in their terms of service which gives them the rights to use or sell your pictures as they see fit. That is why I never upload my pictures onto any web sites but my own.

Well, that doesn't apply to OPF! We have no ownership rights just license to discuss them here. Is there anything about our website that needs to be upgraded. What size files do your panos need? We'd lke to host everything we can.

Asher