• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Preening Swan

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Vivek,

I am not into the UV/IR photography so I cannot comment on that aspect. But I know it when I see a photo which has a good composition and which is interesting. Yours definitely fall into that category. I wonder though, how would it look like had it it been taken using the human visible spectrum? Are we seeing details here which would not be present otherwise? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Last edited:

Vivek Iyer

Hi Cem,

At present my latest and greatest (no kidding! it is truly unique and sophisticated! :)) setup is such that I can forget all about the technical aspects of UV (or IR when that is the case), point my gear, focus manually, see what I am about capture (thanks to liveview) and trip the shutter.

So, a photograph is a photograph is a photograph (to paraphrase a famous writer from the past). :)

Thank you for your kind words! :)

The only differences that one could discern (speaking from memory as I did not capture the same scene in visible light) through this UV capture as opposed to a regular visible capture are:

1. The color and reflectance of the water surface.
2. The neck area of the swan showing an off white coloration (most likely it was wet from the water) and a bit more "structure".

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Vivek,

Hi Cem,

At present my latest and greatest (no kidding! it is truly unique and sophisticated! :)) setup is such that I can forget all about the technical aspects of UV (or IR when that is the case), point my gear, focus manually, see what I am about capture (thanks to liveview) and trip the shutter.

So, a photograph is a photograph is a photograph (to paraphrase a famous writer from the past). :)

Thank you for your kind words! :)

The only differences that one could discern (speaking from memory as I did not capture the same scene in visible light) through this UV capture as opposed to a regular visible capture are:

1. The color and reflectance of the water surface.
2. The neck area of the swan showing an off white coloration (most likely it was wet from the water) and a bit more "structure".
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Having a liveview capable camera is one of the greatest advantages of the modern cameras indeed.

Somehow, this picture makes me think of a sad scene from a fairy tale such as the swan princess. As such, it is a powerful picture. Was that your intention to evoke such emotions in your lookers?

Vivek Iyer

Cem, Thanks again! :)

I spent about 1 hour enjoying/watching (photographing and videoing) the Swans ( I always do whenever I get a chance). As is always the case, they come and take a look at me out of curiosity.
Any time I walk, pass by people, mu surroundings, many things catch my eye. Almost always, only a fraction get recorded. This was one of those.

Here is another (foraging swans):

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr​

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Extraordinary Peak beyond Beauty!

This is an Ultraviolet capture with one of my latest and greatest set ups. :)

This is an Ultraviolet capture with one of my latest and greatest set ups. :)

Vivek,

Taken alone, each picture is an especially intimate peek at the private lives of the graceful swans. Taken together, your approach lifts a curtain of familiarity that we have for beauty, (which glorious enchanting immediately enchanting quality, maybe even causing us to dismiss the birds behind the facade of perfection.

Just a "raz-mataz" color often makes up for or distracts from form, beauty can mask reality. Here the birds are seen laid bare of such outer pretense. I'm impressed so much. This is an amazing feat of patience, choices, intent and transformation of imagination to art.

Kudos!

Asher