• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A quick resolution test with the Rollei lenses

Graham Mitchell

Those who think these old lenses aren't up to standard for 80MP digital sensors might be in for a surprise. I was curious to find out for myself, so I set up a simple test.

Here's a quick run through of my lenses (except the 150mm which is in storage), all shot wide open in my kitchen.

I might not have nailed absolutely perfect focus (it was 2am at the time!) so please bear that in mind. And also bear in mind that these are shot wide open, where resolving power of the lens is at its lowest.

Would love to try some of the latest generation AFD lenses on this camera!

40mm @ f3.5:

40mm.jpg

crop:

40mm_crop.jpg

processed with Leaf Capture:

40mm_crop_leaf.jpg

Those who think these old lenses aren't up to standard for 80MP digital sensors might be in for a surprise. I was curious to find out for myself, so I set up a simple test.

Hi Graham,

They look pretty good indeed. I expect it will only get better upto f/5.6, were the first signs of diffraction will start to be visible at the pixel level, and even at f/8 the diffraction will probably be recoverable quite well. I'm also glad that you are enjoying your new digital back. It's always a pleasure to work with good equipment.

Cheers,
Bart