• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Point/Counterpoint

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Occasionally things can happen in a sequence whereby a meeting of matter occurs one might not have predicted, so simple and valuable, that we wish we'd designed that ourselves!

Fahim posted a B&W harshly-framed street picture in his wonderful collection of colored landscape pictures.

p789543269-5.jpg

Fahim Mohammed: "Untitled"

Street Scene, Scotland

Mark was moved by this snap far beyond, "Nice picture!":

Fahim,

Scotland is not a place - its a state of mind!

Well, being rather interfering, I asked if I could place this very different B&W image with his street pictures. That I did and thought no more of it, except I was pleased as Punch to see the street collection growing nicely.

To my our surprise Fahim quickly added yet another equally remarkable street picture, this time with no border; and I missed it.

p481116725.jpg

Fahim Mohammed: "Untitled #2"

Street Scene

The contrast between the two street pictures caught Mark's eye and he quipped:

Fahim,

This last.

What a great counterpoint!

"Counterpoint", I thought to myself; "I wish I'd thought of that!" as it's obvious now that not only is Fahim's work maturing, but we also now have a valuable, stimulating and fun concept to explore further, "Point & Counterpoint!"

So here's the challenge: let's look through our own work for :

Images that are related but present opposing, complementary or reflective views of a person or subject.

Thanks Fahim and Mike and happy hunting!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

Let me kick off first with my take on these two pictures as the archetype of hopefully a series of pictures set to follow by various contributors.

p789543269-5_2_500px.jpg
p481116725_2_500pxl.jpg

A: A sunlit young bearded man acting,begging or praying, exhibiting himself. B: A balding well-to-do, middle-aged man, in a great coat, waiting, in thought, private, insular

Fahim Mohammed: Street Pictures

Your two pictures side by side contrast in so many aspects.

The first is limited by a dark thick black frame which forces us to look deeply within the image for what's going on. There we find a man, perhaps a performer, perhaps begging or even praying, his audience being either passers by or the heavens. There's a demand for the outside world to relate to him. He's young, so we think of his appeal to others; his future or perhaps ours too!

The second, by contrast is open and unfocused. The man is occupied with inner thoughts and just waiting or perhaps about to cross the road. There are no other people there for him. His back is slightly bent. Maybe he had a desk job. Much of his life is already behind him and his story is largely written. We don't ask "What will become of hi?", rather "Who is he and perhaps what did he do with his life?" The picture, when hung, will spread it's vagueness over an entire wall. We'll be puzzled about the past, not the years to come.

These are my merely thoughts, that, and no more, not any exact interpretation. So, Mike, I wonder what made you feel that the second was a counterpoint to the first?

Meanwhile, let's see if other sets of equally contrasting pictures of the same subject can be found.

Asher