• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Time to sell your 1-series?

Jane Auburn

Is it time to sell the 1-series models you now have? You know that if Canon comes out with a new series early next year, prices will start a precipitous drop with no end in sight. If you can snag $5500 today for a 1DS Mark II, a year from now you'll get maybe $3500.

What's your philosophy on this whole thing? I'm beginning to think that spending thousands on a digital SLR is a fool's game.

John Maio

pro member
Jane Auburn said:
What's your philosophy on this whole thing? I'm beginning to think that spending thousands on a digital SLR is a fool's game.

LOL - and this is precisely what the manufacturers want you to think! My belief is that we've already (or soon will have) reached the point where the number of pixels is less important than it once was. For example, the camera I use to produce commercial headshots is already at 12 Mpx and, where the nominal size of the prints is 8X10, why would I need a 22 Mpx camera? In fact, at this size, the resolution and lens sharpness is already too "cruel" for most people, so I have to apply light touchup to finished prints to make them commercially viable as it is.

For landscape and architectural photography, where prints might be much larger, the added resolution would be welcome, but Canon does not presently offer the kind of lens quality one would need. Already, the forums are filled with advise on which Zeiss, Leica, or whatever lens you can use on your 1Ds2 at the cost of loosing the AF and wide open autoexposure.

There will always be those who simply "need" the latest, but I'm at the point where I need only what works for me and my clients.

My 12-year old Isuzu trooper only has 80,000 miles on it, still looks good, and runs like a top. Why on earth would I buy something new?

JohanElzenga

Suppose I sell my 1Ds MkII for $5500 right now. What would you suggest I do in the meantime, before this new wonderful 1Ds MkIII is really available in the stores? Spend $2500 on renting a 1Ds MkII for half a year?

Tim Rucci

Invest in glass, not camera bodies...

Our camera bodies will be just as capable next year as they are now. Generally the way I look at it is that I'm happy with the camera I'm using now, and it would take some major enhancements to entice me to want to upgrade if and when a new body comes out.

So I'd rather invest in lenses than an improved camera body. I think it's best in the long run to skip at least every other body that comes out, unless it has something specific that you cannot live without.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John Maio said:
.......why would I need a 22 Mpx camera? In fact, at this size, the resolution and lens sharpness is already too "cruel" for most people, so I have to apply light touchup to finished prints to make them commercially viable as it is.

Hi John,

Great to have you bring up this question. I see this as a great opportunity!

Although owning a 5D, I am not sure if the better focus is worth it for me. The extra 4MP pixels are of little practical consequence IMHO. Some think the skin tones are better with the 5D.

For landscape and architectural photography, where prints might be much larger, the added resolution would be welcome, but Canon does not presently offer the kind of lens quality one would need. Already, the forums are filled with advise on which Zeiss, Leica, or whatever lens you can use on your 1Ds2 at the cost of loosing the AF and wide open autoexposure.......

A 22MP Canon 1Ds III? Not probably worthwhile unless dynamic range is improved. For that larger (deeper in the current format) wells are needed or else efficient 3 layer (Foveon type sensors).

Billboards, viewed from the highway have been made with digicams, just 6MP!

For close-up large wall size "action" prints, such as Nicolas Claris delivers, might need more pixels in a 35mm DSLR form. For the former, the limit of, for example the Sigma 12-24 mm wide angle zoom or Nikon offerings have not, AFAIK, been reached.

For Landscape Photography lenses are generally used manually anyway so there's no shooting change using Leica and Zeiss optics on Canon and other cameras. So here, more resolution can help.

However, we need the MFRS to concentrate on quality of pixels and user friendliness of cameras. For example, all professional cameras should have Pocket Wizard technology to communicate with all external flash. ISO options with local contrast and exposure adaptations should be a shooting mode so that stitching at sunsets and on beaches is not needed.

There's a lot to do beyond pixel increase to make me buy!

I'm sure that most of us could do portraits people would love with a 3MP Canon D30!

Asher

Jane Auburn

Tim Rucci said:
Generally the way I look at it is that I'm happy with the camera I'm using now, and it would take some major enhancements to entice me to want to upgrade if and when a new body comes out.

How about built-in anti-dust system and a hybrid unit that does both sports and high-res, has a smaller battery (for smaller form factor), offers significantly greater dynamic range, and has pocket wizard capability built in?

Erik DeBill

John Maio said:
There will always be those who simply "need" the latest, but I'm at the point where I need only what works for me and my clients.

My 12-year old Isuzu trooper only has 80,000 miles on it, still looks good, and runs like a top. Why on earth would I buy something new?

I'd sell it before it hits 100k, since there's a big drop in resale value then. My 6 year old Jeep has 130k and is no longer worth selling.

Is there a similar effect with cameras? I know that shutters are rated for X number of activations. Do people try to sell them before that runs out? I know that with the prosumer models you can hit that rating in just a couple years.

Why you're not actually driving your car is a secondary issue. :)

Erik DeBill

Jane Auburn said:
How about built-in anti-dust system and a hybrid unit that does both sports and high-res, has a smaller battery (for smaller form factor), offers significantly greater dynamic range, and has pocket wizard capability built in?

I want interchangeable grips like pistols have. I see people complaining that Canon grips are too large for their hands. I personally find them a bit smaller than I'd like. Interchangeable grips would be a godsend. I'd bulk up the grips on mine with tape, but they always put a CF loading door in the way.

Daniel Harrison

pro member
No,
I like my 1D mark II just the way it is, and besides, after selling your 1Ds mk II you will probably be rewarded with a 1Ds mark II N. Wouldn't risk it :)

Tim Rucci

Go for it...

Jane Auburn said:

Well Jane, if a new model comes out really offering those things... and if it's what you feel, then go for it.

But I have no problem cleaning my sensor every so often, and I personally think the vibration thing is a gimmick. It has already been written that with the mechanism there to vibrate the sensor, one can no longer get to the sensor with a swab to clean it manually. So if the vibration thing proves less than adequate, you are stuck.

The present size and weight of the MkIIN that I use is no problem for me, so battery size is not a factor. When I purchased my present body, I joked with some of my friends that I had not been getting enough exercise lately, so I my solution to building some additional upper body strength was purchasing a heavier camera.

As for improved dynamic range... everyone wants that, but let's wait and see if and when it really happens, and to what degree. I want speed, and 8fps at 8.2mg is plenty for me. Having both may be nice, but I can't say I really want a whole lot more pixels.

If a camera comes out that really has dramatic improvements on all fronts, I would still skip it and then consider the next one instead, in a couple years. Bigger and faster glass is still more important to me personally, than marginal improvements in a camera body.

That's my take, but I'm sure many will have different opinions.

Jane Auburn

Tim Rucci said:
The present size and weight of the MkIIN that I use is no problem for me

I just got back from a seven-day hike in AZ. The weight of that 1D camera was miserable. I don't know anyone who would not like a smaller 1-series.

The weight of the current 1 body is down to what? The battery?

Nill Toulme

No it's more than just the battery, but a large portion of it is due to its having the grip built in, as opposed to removable. The old film 1-series had add-on grips.

I just bought a 400D for hikes and the like. That was to replace a 20D, which I thought was too heavy still. ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Nill Toulme

The 17-85 IS and 70-300 IS are my current travel kit. As soon as the Sigma 18-200 OS starts shipping I will try one of those. I really liked the non-OS 18-125 and 18-200 except for the lack of IS.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Paul Bestwick

pro member
I remember when the 1DS II was released I got rid of my 1DS real quick & made the upgrade. I was the first person in Tasmania to have one. Looking back, I can say it was the correct decision, but as far as upgrading this time I am not so sure. The 1DS II is fantastic, it is producing awesome images. I am sure I will be tempted as no doubt Canon will have made some highly useful advances. However.....I could get another 2 years out of it, buy the next upgrade & get a bit more value for my dollars. My studio is only a small operation & to continually upgrade doesn't stack up real well. Having said that, there is allways a chance that I will be blown away by the next release & buy it regardless.

Paul

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I'm sure that Canon will bring some features that most of us will want to get, and by consequence, most of us will upgrade, as I'm 95% sure I'll do myself!
Canon won't put on the market a camera that will not overhelm the 1DsII that I also love...
Paul and others), besides what have been said already, what would be the best improvement to come for your need/pleasure/satisfaction?

Nill Toulme

Nicolas Claris said:
Paul and others), besides what have been said already, what would be the best improvement to come for your need/pleasure/satisfaction?

1. Getting rid of the 1D's utterly maddening tendency to simply refuse to fire sometimes in very low light, fast action situations.

2. Even better (recognizing how good it already is) AF performance generally in those same low light, fast action situations.

3. Even better (recognizing how good it already is) high ISO noise performance in those same low light, fast action situations.

4. Another vote for #1.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Jeff O'Neil

Interesting thoughts on whats coming and what might be passe`.

I always hoped Canon would come out with a half weight battery for my 1D MKII. Some times I don't need a weeks worth of battery, just a day and the lighter weight would be a godsend!

Jeff

Jane Auburn

Nill Toulme said:
No it's more than just the battery, but a large portion of it is due to its having the grip built in, as opposed to removable. The old film 1-series had add-on grips.

I just bought a 400D for hikes and the like. That was to replace a 20D, which I thought was too heavy still. ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Yes, I could take a 400D for the hike, but a 400D isn't really suitable for landscapes, is it? The 1DS Mark II is barely suitable for landscapes.

Nill Toulme

Well, hmmm... if the 1DS Mark II is "barely suitable for landscapes," then no, a 400D isn't really suitable for landscapes at all. ;-)

Hmmm again... wouldn't the 5D be barely suitable, and meet the smaller and lighter (relatively speaking) criteria?

Which is not to say that a 1v-style, full 1-series spec, but smaller lighter camera with removable grip wouldn't be really nice.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net