• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Scheimpflug revisted - "new old text"

Doug Kerr

In May 2006, in celebration of my 70th birthday, I published a technical article on The Pumpkin describing at length two principles enunciated by Theodor Scheimpflug which give a rigorous geometric basis for arranging the movements of a camera so as to place the "plane" of perfect object focus at both the location and orientation we need for a particular photographic task. (Often only one of these principals is recognized.)

About six weeks later, I prepared an expanded version of the article, with a third appendix adding some further information. It turns out that through oversight I never "published" this second issue.

Pursuant to the Latin motto of my Scots clan and sept, "sero sed serio" (late but in earnest), I have now published Issue 2 (dated July 16, 2006) of "The Scheimpflug Principles", available here:

http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin#Scheimpflug

Best regards,

Doug

Bob Latham

A very timely revision there, Doug, thank you. I read the original paper some years ago and have maintained a copy on my hard drive (since 14th July 2008 it seems).

I say "timely" as it's good to revisit the principles rather than simply use the lenses intuitively. I recently treated myself to the TS-E24 MkII and retired my 1991 designed MkI. Whilst the MkII doesn't quite rival the Hartblei Super Rotator for engineering machoism, it is very clearly a well thought out combination of optics, gears, knobs, dials and chassis. I can see that someone with a creative mind (an item that was temporarily out of stock when I arrived in the world) will be thrilled with the ease at which tilt, shift and rotation can be implemented.
Optically, it appears to be on a par with other releases over the last few years and my initial fumblings show that colour rendition is noticeably superior to its predecessor. Seeing the two sitting side by side on the shelf, it's very clear that the intervening 17 years have given rise to improved asthetic standards in parallel with the business end of things. My only other observation at this time is that the thing is huge (when compared to its siblings ....45mm and 90mm versions and its own initial incarnation)

Again, thanks for highlighting the updated paper.

Bob

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bob,

A very timely revision there, Doug, thank you. I read the original paper some years ago and have maintained a copy on my hard drive (since 14th July 2008 it seems).
. . .
Again, thanks for highlighting the updated paper.

Thanks so much, and thanks for the for the nice discussion of new Scheimpflug-enabled hardware!

Best regards,

Doug